Splitting a signal

jhag

I am wanting to split output signal coming from my A-Designs Mp-2, one signal to my soundcard for recording, the other to my board for headphone mixing. Can anyone tell me the best thing to use to achieve this. I have looked at everything from a simple Y-cord to the Whirlwind 1x2 to a Whirlwind multisplit rack unit. I'm looking for something that wont degrade the signal from the mp-2. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Actually, I'm ashamed to say, I don't have a patchbay at this time. Was just looking for a small scale fix for the time being.

If you're even planning to buy a patch bay, consider purchasing a single replacment module now and then later when you get the patchbay, you'll have a spare. :D

What about running your preamp's output into your soundcard input, and then run your soundcard's output monitoring into your board?

but now i wonder, will such a 'cheap rolls mic splitter' downgrade the quality of the signal path? will you loose sound quality and signal ?
i think a Y-cable will make the signal path unbalanced, no? and 6 db more quiet

Why would a Y-cable make the signal unbalanced? If dealing with a balanced signal you would just get a TRS y-cable, so both of the split signals would remain balanced.

earworm said:
but now i wonder, will such a 'cheap rolls mic splitter' downgrade the quality of the signal path? will you loose sound quality and signal ?

While I have not used this brand, I would be surprised if something this simple could degrade your signal. It is only a transformer. In fact, a transformer isolated splitter is designed to solve the voltage problems associated with using a Y-cable. In my opinion, it is the correct tool for the job. And as I said, there are better brands out there if you don't like Rolls.

Back