Splicing tape substitute, in a pinch?

jviss

Is there any household adhesive tape one could use when out of splicing tape? I mean, is Scotch invisible better than masking tape?

In a pinch.... Clear Scotch tape will get the job done but don't expect more than a handful of passes with it before it comes loose. Also don't jog the transport while the splice is anywhere near the transport components. It may not survive the tension of going from stop to play while the splice is in the open. Just my 2 cents

I agree. If you HAVE to get through a session NOW, then the scotch tape can save your but, temporarily. If I had to go that route, I'd be scrambling to order some splicing tape ASAP and re-splice once it came in. Once the scotch tape starts breaking down (doesn't take long) it will be a nightmare to clean up.

I would buy the right stuff for the job. Regular tape can ooze out and gum up your transports after time.

[edited to remove light-hearted attempt at humor]

What I meant in the original post was, given that one's supply of splicing tape is depleted, and since no retail outlet anywhere in the vicinity carries it, and you really, really want to splice some leader onto a tape, and want to do it before the mail-ordered splicing tape arrives....what would you use?

Anyway, I used some matte finish "magic" or disappearing adhesive tape, just as if it was splicing tape, including cutting a waist into the splice when trimming the sides. Worked great, seems very strong. It was for attaching leaders. I'll re-do it when I get some of the right stuff.

I'd love to know the difference between splicing tape and the stuff I used.

I have since considered using crazy glue to butt the ends together.

jv

Last edited:
Thank you, Captain Obvious! :)

I agree. The title said "substitute" and "in a pinch."

Anyway, I used some matte finish "magic" or disappearing adhesive tape, just as if it was splicing tape, including cutting a waist into the splice when trimming the sides. Worked great, seems very strong. It was for attaching leaders. I'll re-do it when I get some of the right stuff.

jv

Easy Jr. This isn't the cave. He was just trying to stress the point.

Knowing the difference would be very interesting. From what I've seen, the usual adhesive gets gooey and crappy, and the splicing tape adhesive (at least from what I've seen from the 60's tapes I've got) gets hard and brittle. Why that is, I don't have a clue.

[edited to remove light-hearted attempt at humor]

What I meant in the original post was, given that one's supply of splicing tape is depleted, and since no retail outlet anywhere in the vicinity carries it, and you really, really want to splice some leader onto a tape, and want to do it before the mail-ordered splicing tape arrives....what would you use?

I have since considered using crazy glue to butt the ends together.

jv

Even with emoticons, sarcasm just doesn't translate well on this forum.

-MD

So very true. My apologies for the quick defense.

I don't think there is any place within a 1000 miles of me that actually stocks splicing tape, so I have to order mine.

Simple answer: yes, scotch tape will work in a pinch, just don't forget about it and come back some time later to discover a mess.;)

Ok

Thanks, and apologies to dodgeaspen; I did not mean to be rude or offend.

Anyway, yea, I need supplies - splicing tape, leader tape, hold-down tape. Just can't decide what kind, where to buy, etc.

The two places I normally get mine from are either www.splicit.com or www.usrecordingmedia.com

I'm sure someone else will pop in with some other suggestions, but those are the two that most of the people in here know about. I do need to get some different colors of leader tape though. All I've got at the moment is white.:o

Don't worry about your post. To answer your question about the different colors (and I might be wrong) I think it would be easier to remember tails in and out if you remember the two colors you used.

Back