Spirit M series preamps

SidGuatama

I'm going to be be building a new project studio in my basement based around a Spirit M12 mixer and two Delta 66 soundcards. My previous mixer was a Behringer MX something or other, and the preamps were total shit. To compensate, I'd been using an M-Audio DMP3 for stuff like vocals and acoustic guitar. Not exactlly high-end, but a vast improvement.

So, how do the preamps on the Sprit M series compare to some of the popular entry/mid-level outboard preamps -- DMP3, VTB1, TrakMaster Pro, RNP etc? I've heard some very good things about the M-series preamps, so I'm just wondering how they compare to some mid-level outboard stuff.

And does anyone have an opinion about getting a Delta 1010 vs 2 Delta 66 cards? It's a bit cheaper this way, and I know I can sync them fairly easily using S/PDIF.

This has been sitting for awhile so I'll give you my thoughts. I have the M12 and like it alot. I get good results with it's preamps. I don't have any of the outboard preamps you mention so I can't compare them to those; but in my opinion the M12 will provide a good set of stock preamps for your project studio. You can always expand your system with external preamps in the future and use the line inputs on the M12.

the m12 pres are better than the dmp-3 from what has been written....on the same note of that though, an M12 or a dmp3 will do the trick....personally i would rather have the mixer than the stand alone

someone did post in an earlier topic that the e-series preamps are the same as the m-series preamps but when i look at their specs there are littler differences. He said that an engineer / designer of soundcraft gave him this info.

It´s interesting that the preamps of the compact series have the same specs as the e-series.

you could ask here "middleman" about the soundcraft preamps cause a lot of postings about those were from him and i think he knows them very well.

Back