Spirit folio rac pac mixer and edirol ua 1000

Ahmacrom

Hi, Big time lurker and finally got some gear together. I have not much money to work around with so I'm stuck with what I have. I have a spirit folio rac pac mixer and an edirol ua 1000 recording interface. I can't rap my head around how to hook this up to record me playing to tracks in reaper, and then hearing playback and over dubbing new parts etc. Also a headphone mix for vocals and layering back up vocals . Much help would be appreciated, slowly and with pictures ! ha ha . My care giver wrote this, I had a serious head injury and this is part of my therapy. So be gentle.

reaper, cool but...

I'm ok with the reaper stuff. But the physical components of how to hook up the mixer and the interface for multi racking and over dubbing is where my brain hurts. The tweakheads article in how to hook up an analog mixer, makes no sense to me. It says to connect the sub group out to soundcard in.? Is that only stereo or 2 tracks?

Any good relevant info would be great. I'm going to look around this forum as well to see if something pertains to my set up. Thanks.

It looks like you will only have two channels going into the interface if you do it that way. If you want to multitrack in Reaper, you need an interface with enough channels to run all your mics and instruments directly into the interface. The Edirol apparently has 10 inputs, so you're good to go. Just plug everything into those inputs and connect the USB cable to the computer.

Well, the good news (or bad news, depending on how you look at it) is that the combination you have gives you great flexibility in how you set things up. Unfortunately, this means you have to think a bit about what your needs are.

The mixer you have has ten inputs with direct outs which is great. You interface has multiple inputs you can use.

The big questions are, first, how many tracks do you want to record at any one time and, second, what software are you using for mixing?

Assuming you will be doing all instruments and vocals yourself (i.e. recording one thing at a time), I'd probably just feed my mics and any instruments into the first few mixer inputs, then feed the direct outputs into the first few line level inputs on the Edirol. You'd use quarter inch TRS to quarter inch TRS cables for this.

I'd also bring at least two (maybe more) outputs from your computer via the Edirol into the last few inputs of the mixer, then use pre fade auxes to feed to the headphone monitoring, mixing your vocals/instrumentals from whatever channels you're using mixed with the returns from the computer. This would also use quarter inch TRS cables. I'd personally probably mix the recorded tracks in the computer software and just feed that mix to two channels on the mixer. However, you could bring more channels out and do some of the mixing on the auxes...your choice.

However, the thing is that with your combination of gear there are lots of other ways you could do it. Probably just time to buy some cables, dive in and try things.

Bob

However, the thing is that with your combination of gear there are lots of other ways you could do it. Probably just time to buy some cables, dive in and try things.

Yep. One of the guys has a truckload of cables listed for sale in the free ads forum for $100. Looks like a good deal.

Er, yeah.

A quick read of the list of cables:

(12) insert cables...6' to 10' long.... ( SOLD)
(2) 8 channel snakes...6' RCA to 1/4" connectors...
(18) 1/4" to 1/4" instrument cables of various lenghts/brands....
(11) 1/4" to RCA.... combo line/instrument cables various lenghts...
(13) 1/4" to 1/4"....short 1' or less patch/pedal cables...
(2) RCA to RCA ....dual line cables...
(8) fixable variable type cables....

...shows that most are quarter in to RCA in some form or another--and that doesn't appear to be what he needs. When he says "instrument cables" I assume thats just TS, (i.e. unbalanced) so those aren't much use either.

Not a bad deal for somebody who needs them but as the OP needs 4+ balanced quarter inch cables, I doubt this represents what he needs.

Bob

Who the hell is being snotty? Just read the list and thought I should let the OP know that these aren't necessarily the cables he needs.

So it's manners to suggest a guy spend $65 on a pile of cables he doesn't need and that won't do what he wants?

I didn't call you names, I didn't insult you (unlike some of the esteemed regulars on this forum). I just pointed out they were the wrong cables.

If that offended you, I apologise.

I presumed the OP could read the owner's manual and determine whether the cables would suit his needs. Therefore I refrained from doing his research for him. My bad. :)

I presumed the OP could read the owner's manual and determine whether the cables would suit his needs. Therefore I refrained from doing his research for him. My bad. :)
.......well ..... in all fairness the OP did say he needed us to spoonfeed it to him because of a serious head injury he suffered.

So I think we'll probably want to be extra watchful on the part of the OP to make sure he understands.
Bobbsy didn't seem to come across as insulting to me but just interested in helping the guy save some money..

I'm not trying to get in the middle of anything here .... I have enough woes of my own ..... but I think it's just a simple misunderstanding.

...and, in the interests of moving this on, the vexed question of cables must be one of the hardest things for a newbie because everyone calls them different things.

Americans have RCA connectors. Brits call the same things Phono plugs--and just to be really confusing, some Brits call quarter inch 3 pole connectors "Phone" plugs because they used to be used on phone switchboards (actually, those were "B" gauge and the common ones today are "A" gauge" but that's another confusion).

Lot's of people call quarter inch TRS jacks "stereo jacks" even if they're carrying a balanced mono signal, leading a common newbie question to be "I plugged a stereo jack into my mixer and only got one channel". Quarter inch TS jacks are often called "instrument" leads even if they're carrying unbalanced line level mono rather than a feed from a guitar. Some manufacturers just call their inputs "dual" sockets, not even mentioning that it's "dual XLR and quarter inch balanced". Others say "quarter inch" okay but don't mention balanced or unbalanced. And some hard core Europeans insist on metricating everything and calling them 6.5mm jacks even though a quarter inch is actually 6.35mm.

In short, what we call connectors is a mess (and I can be as guilty as anyone) that makes things confusing for even the cleverest newbie.

Peace, diggy_dude and thanks for stepping in Lt. Bob.

yeah, that TRS thing was confusing to me when I first got here and I'd been doing the recording thing for 35 years at that point. But I'd never heard that term.

With people coming in from every corner of the globe ..... there's room for some serious miscommunication sometimes. So cables really can be confusing to a newb or even someone not so new.

Hi Bobbsy, thanks for the response. The big questions answered are that, first, I want to record 4- 6 tracks at the same time.

Secondly, I use Reaper for software.

What you remark after makes sense to me about taking the outputs from the Edirol into the last few inputs. I want just a "stereo" 2 track mix for headphone monitoring.

My problem was initially in that the helpful folks at my music store sold me insert cables and they are "half inserted" in the mixer. He told me to connect them with the dual end going from input to output on the Edirol and the "tip" end is half inserted at the mixer insert point of the strip. He then mentioned that after I record to push in the cables to "monitor" the sound.

But I get feedback when I turn up the control control volume knob when the cable is half inserted.

One of the drawbacks of my head injury is that it takes me a LONG time to read and process the info. I respond better with seeing and looking at a diagram. But I find no viable references that fit my equipment list and the Edirol manual is horrible. But I'll keep at it. Thanks again.

Hi, exactly, I have a British mixing board and some of the labels on the board have me confused. The insert cables I got have some other name to them and the manuals I look over are all horrible except for the Reaper one. Which is long but thorough. Coupled with my brain injury, slurring and mumbling my questions to a music store employee, it takes a while for it to sink in. Come to think of it, I act like I 'm drunk or concussed most of the time !

All the inputs on the back of the spirit folio rac pac are 1/4" standard guitar cable instrument jacks (mono) -
EXCEPT - the large 3-prong ones are XLR mic cables - and if there is any phones those will be stereo 1/4" - the little red and white ones are RCA jacks (just like ones used in home stereos, CD players, etc. - they carry a stereo signal L/R)
small.jpg

In the edirol you have similar jacks:
edirol-ua101.jpg

the front of the unit has two XLR/1/4" combos (you can put either type of cable in it) - the back is all 1/4" instrument cable

XLR:
xlr-cable.jpg

These are the two 1/4" cable types - the top one is for headphones or a stereo signal - the bottom is standard 1/4" guitar/instrument cable (eg what you need)
16aqfx2.png

RCA CABLES: (not sure if you even need any of these)
coaxial-cable-vs-rca-cable-800x800.jpg

I am pretty sure you just want to run one 1/4" cable from the output channel on the mixer to the input channel on the ediral - then the signal travels via USB into your computer. So if you are recording 6 instruments, you need 6 cables just for the mixer > interface - not counting any cables you need to get your instrument into your mixer

HTH

Last edited:
Hi arcadeko, I get that thank you for the reply. Do then the outputs of the Edirol go to separate strips? Or do I designate
a stereo mix through the Edirol or am I on the right track? The next steps are where it gets foggy. Or do I use the Reaper software and control the mix more from there ? Is 4 questions too much? Oh my gosh that's 5.... :)

Back