Spending the Church Budget

I've got about 800-1000 to spend on recording equipment. My primary use is going to be rehearsal though we will use some of the equipment in recording performances. One of my tenors is a home recording buff and has additional equipment that we'll use in recording performances. All recordings will be live either a cappella or with accompaniment (organ or piano in most cases). In some of our festivals we have brass but that's about the extent of it. I'm thinking of going with a pair of "value" multi-pattern mikes and something in the Fostex VF series for multitrack. I'm not a big fan of directional mics in choral applications as my experience is it tends to isolate voices hence the need for a muti-pattern (B2 or the like). However, my friend brings up an important point in that for some of the performances we use larger forces for we may want to have something with more unbalanced inputs (i.e. his pair of NT2's in front and my pair and other mics for closeup application). I know I'm not going to get much for the budget constriction but just thought I'd throw it out to you all. Also not too concerned with software, cd-burning etc as I have Cool Edit/Audition and a CD burner in my computer at home so can burn CD's there if I need to. Also not adverse to Ebay and used products.....thinking that's where most of the gear will come from actually.

Back