Spend My Money!

PsyCoNo

I am looking to invest between $10,000 and $15,000 into equipment for a new project studio. What would you suggest for the following: Console, Recorder, Microphones, and Monitors. I want to see what you can come up with...

That's about what I spent on my rig. I'm using a Soundcraft Ghost with a Radar Nyquist (both purchased used). Throw in a few MXL's and SP mics, some RNC's, a TC Electronics M300 and you'll have a nice solid rig. I use my old NS10s for montitoring but if I was going to spend some money I'd check out the Blue Sky system with sub.

oh yay! Here yah go:

Mixer : Mackie SR32-4- VLZPRO $1799.99

Recorder: MOTU 896 FireWire Digital Hard Disk Recording system interface $1249.99 or Pro Tools 24 Mix system $2000.00

Brain: Mac G4 w/ two 21" monitors (flat of course) $2000.00

Preamps: Presonus DigiMax LT 8 ch Mic PreAmp interface $1000.00

Condenser Mics: Shure KSM32 Gold-Layered Diaphragm - 500.00
two AKG C451 B 's 400.00 each
Audio Technica AT4050 $600.00
AKG D1112 Kick mic $200.00

Dynamic Mics : Shure SM57 (6) 79.99 each
3 SM58's 99.99 each

Monitors : Mackie HR-824's 849.99 each

and also you should get 3 Alesis ADATs for about 2 G's each
or maybe a Roland VS-2480 DAW instead of protools or MoTu

I expect you to get all these items and let me use your studio anytime i want... for free.

Rage - Id probably like to go with digital, but either would be fine.

OTBR - Thanks for that one.... that actually looks like a really good system, thanks for the input!

Tex - where can you get RNC's? Does Guitar Center have them?

I love threads where I get to spend someone's money!

Why would anyone want to use ADAT's at this point? Pesky machines that need servicing, a waste of money in my opinion. Especially if you are going to have a DAW.

For a digital board I'd suggest the Tascam DM-24 along with a MOTU 2408mk3. This will give you excellent interfacing with your DAW for a really great price. I like my MOTU/DM-24 combination very much. The Tascam's can be had new for around $2,000 or so and the 2408mk3's are under a grand. Hard to beat this combo in my opinion, and you have a ton of money left over to spend on software and outboard gear. The Tascam has 16 good preamps plus all those channels of conversion, so that's less you have to spend in that area. Each channel also has compression, gating, eq. But you could still get some outboard stuff like the RNC, which would be nice to have.

I'm not sure how you are going to get a Mac G4 and two 21" monitors for $2,000, but when you figure it out please let me know! :-)

I like OTBR's mic selections. There's a lot more to choose from obviously, but he's got you covered well.

I have a pair of Mackie HR824's that I like, although you should look into some Dynaudio monitors too. I forget the model number, but I've heard some I really liked at a studio where I played a session. I think is was something like BM-15a, or something with a 15 in it.

Even after all the above gear you'll probably have money left over for some decent outboard fx. Get one or two good reverbs, like the Lexicon PCM-91 or TC Electronic M3000, and then fill out the rack with good but less costly fx for delay, chorus, modulation fx etc.

OTBR - I am still trying to figure out where to get the G4 and 2, 21" flat monitors for $2000.... any help? lol

SonicAlbert said:
I love threads where I get to spend someone's money!

Why would anyone want to use ADAT's at this point? Pesky machines that need servicing, a waste of money in my opinion. Especially if you are going to have a DAW.

ADATs can still be very usefull, I sold mine when I got my Delta 1010, but I'm going to buy another one for mobile recording. You can get a BlackFace in good shape for 200-250 on eBay.

Back