Speeding up tempo for drums already recorded

thegoof

Hi! I had drums previously recorded for a song and am realizing I need the tempo faster. Does speeding them up a few BPMs in Logic ruin the recording? Anyone done this before? Or... would it be best to re-record them?

Not sure about Logic, but in Reaper (depending on the stretch/tempo settings) it shouldn't do anything "bad" to your recording. Half timing them or doubling them would probably sound weird regardless of the stretch/tempo algorithm... but 1-20bpm shouldn't really be an issue... why not just try it yourself?

Speeding things up always works better than slowing them down. You will just have to try it and find out. There should be a non-destructive way to do it, so you can always revert back if necessary.

It depends a lot on the algorithm being used. The most simple method (literally speeding up the recording like you would with tape) will change the pitch.

All modern software has "tempo" adjust algorithms too tho. The best ones will work well with drums because they are better at removing silence specifically to change the tempo. But any modern software should be fine as long as you only go a few BPM

This was done in Reaper, using an audio track, not midi (although the drums came from MTPDK). It was done at 105, 120 and 130 BPM. The pitch stays the same, just the time and BPM changed.

View attachment Drums 105 120 130 BPM.mp3

I've used the tempo change in Reaper to make up to 10% adjustments on normal audio files and they didn't show any adverse effects.

I'm always mystified when the obvious answer is "what do you think after you try it?". For the life of me I cannot imagine not trying things? I never ask for help until my brain has run out of ideas, and then Google runs out and it's still a problem - that is when I ask the collected brains of the forums. Something makes me wonder if he tried it (perhaps 'wrongly') and hated the result?

Back