Speeding up audio process selection?

drathbun

I tend to use the same audio process on numerous tracks over and over again. It gets tedious to go Process / Audio Effects / Sony / Pitch Shift (or) Wavehammer over and over again. There are so many effects in the list, I have to keep scrolling to the same spot all the time.

Is there a way in Sonar 4 to shorten this hunt and peck process? A macro key would be great!

drathbun said:
I tend to use the same audio process on numerous tracks over and over again. It gets tedious to go Process / Audio Effects / Sony / Pitch Shift (or) Wavehammer over and over again. There are so many effects in the list, I have to keep scrolling to the same spot all the time.

Is there a way in Sonar 4 to shorten this hunt and peck process? A macro key would be great!

Interesting question... It's a pity Sonar doesn't have an effects chainer facility like Sound Forge does... Unless there's another way of achieving the same thing.

I'm at work at the moment but if I get a chance I'll have a look tonight. I'm on Sonar 5 SE but I'm sure that if I can suss something out in 5 it should work in 4

I use the "Clone Track" option a lot, with the "clone events" option unchecked (so it just copies the effects and settings.)

I've also created a template that has 4 tracks, each with all my usual plugins already assigned, and I start new projects from that template. It's way easier to delete tracks that aren't needed than it is to add the same 3 plugins from the enormous plugin list.

DM1 said:
I use the "Clone Track" option a lot, with the "clone events" option unchecked (so it just copies the effects and settings.)

I've also created a template that has 4 tracks, each with all my usual plugins already assigned, and I start new projects from that template. It's way easier to delete tracks that aren't needed than it is to add the same 3 plugins from the enormous plugin list.

I do the same thing (create track templates with plugins already applied) but I think our friend here is on about applying audio processes to individual audio clips rather than adding plugin effects to a track.

Synkrotron said:
I do the same thing (create track templates with plugins already applied) but I think our friend here is on about applying audio processes to individual audio clips rather than adding plugin effects to a track.

Yes, that's true. I guess it is my habit not to overload the CPU with multiple effects on a track. So I'll have a reverb set on the vocal track, record a number of takes and then apply my Sony Wavehammer compressor directly to the waveform and then listen to the mix. I guess the fast thing would be to add the Wavehammer to the FX bin until I'm finished recording. But when I've got multiple tracks and FX it affects CPU performance so I tend to apply the compressor to the track each time.

drathbun said:
I guess the fast thing would be to add the Wavehammer to the FX bin until I'm finished recording.
That's exactly the way Sonar is intended to work. In fact, I never "apply" effects - even at the end of a project.

Obviously, however, a lot depends on your CPU and what it can handle. But until Sonar starts choking, I would leave everything in real time.

BTW, a Wavehammer to every individual track is waayyyyy overkill IMO. You might want to look at your signal chain to find out why your recording signal is so low that you feel this is necessary. You really should only need to apply the Wavehammer to your Master Bus (and *need* is questionable even in that situation).

dachay2tnr said:
That's exactly the way Sonar is intended to work. In fact, I never "apply" effects - even at the end of a project.

Obviously, however, a lot depends on your CPU and what it can handle. But until Sonar starts choking, I would leave everything in real time.

BTW, a Wavehammer to every individual track is waayyyyy overkill IMO. You might want to look at your signal chain to find out why your recording signal is so low that you feel this is necessary. You really should only need to apply the Wavehammer to your Master Bus (and *need* is questionable even in that situation).

Sorry I must have misstated... I apply Wavehammer directly to a vocal track and then listen to the mix. Then I might retake that track and apply the wavehammer again. I only wavehammer the vocal tracks where I've got a lot of variation. It is just I keep fiddling, retaking, fiddling and retaking. I do not apply the wavehammer to the same track (or multiple tracks) over and over again. I do use it sparingly

I guess I was using that as an example. I have so many effects in a list that I hate having to hit the menu and scroll through the effects to get the reverb I'm looking for. From some of the answers here, I think I'll try the clone track or file template feature. Should be good for grinners!

Back