speed problems help!

tapeboy

My old soundcraft 760 24 track machine is turning at about half speed, ocasionally speeding up for a split second and then down again. When I rewind the take up spool is turning at the speed of light and I have to dive over to the machine to turn it off!! It all started with pressing play and nothing happening and then when it did start...slow, slow, slow.

The motors inside look new and I have really looked after this machine. Could it be a belt somewhere that needs replacing. Please give me some good news, it's most depressing!!! THANKS in advance.

this might be a bit of work, but i would google your model and look for a studio with one of these units... if you were to contact them, i am sure they could put you in touch with whoever provides support for the machine...

good luck!

dave

Most of these machines use electronic regulators for the reel motors.
If one of these regulators fail then the reel motor running speeds can no longer be accurately controlled.

so what you want to do is test each reel motor to see if it turns at the correct speed.

If not then you have found your problem.

Keith

Also consider the effect of possible Tape Sticky Shed Syndrome which can force even the most stout transports to a crawl.

What type of tape are you using and how old is it?

A fresh, healthy roll of tape may be all you need and the means of baking your existing stock if they are victim to this problem.

Cheers! :)

yep i have experienced that problem too

Especialy on older tapes with felt back coating.

It used to leave a residue on the tape guide posts and even the heads.

I have just recently cleaned out all of the guide posts on my machine and disposed of the tapes that were shedding.

Keith

Back