Spectrum/frequency analyzer.

Mr. Kristopher

I was wondering why I don't see that much about using or people selling spectrum analyzers? After reading what I could about what they do I'm wondering why everybody doesn't use them. I know they'd help me out a lot as far as finding out what's really going on with my 4-track mixdown. Any thoughts?

I knew a guy who did DJing. He used to send white noise or pink noise through his PA and then use a graphic equaliser so that all the frequencies on the spectrum analyzer where all equal.

The output of the PA then went through the graphic so that it compensated for the room acoustics. The sound was excellent. It was in a big hall but it sounded like it was in your own front room. There was no harshness or anything, just a really warm sound.

I often thought of doing the same thing with a PA but have never tried it yet.

Go to the download page of prorec.com and get gram.exe.
Possible uses?Fix room resonances and instrument peaks.Compare your mix to a commercial CD and "go to school" on the big boys.Good luck.

Tom

I use an old Rane RA27 and for a quick setup it can't be beat. Once I get my mains close I use my ears and I leave the input microphone hanging over a stage monitor so if I get feedback I know what frequency to grab in less than 1 second. Works great!
This is for live gigs of course. Also, a truely flat PA system can sound a little thin or harsh so I usually add some ultra low end and play with the high-mids after my analyzer shows all green. I have also used it extensively to help me understand frequency ranges of various instruments, amplifiers, voices, etc. Get one.

other thread

Hi, I started a thread a few months ago on this and got some good responses. I believe it was in this group, but if you search the board on "spectrum analyzer" you should find it. I think the only thing holding some people back from using them is the cost. They can be pricey, but not totally out of reach. I definitely plan to get one down the road. I saw a guy use one in his studio to pick up intrusive low frequency noises (nearby train) so that he could eliminate them when tracking.

I tried downloading this program and I find it somewhat cumbersome. Why doesn't it play the file back in real time? Why doesn't it register anything above 5k?

Tom Hicks said:
Go to the download page of prorec.com and get gram.exe.
Possible uses?Fix room resonances and instrument peaks.Compare your mix to a commercial CD and "go to school" on the big boys.Good luck.

Tom

Does anyone know of a good stand-alone directx spectrum analyzer? I think one comes with ACID but I don't want to buy that product just for the analyzer...Oh yeah, it needs to run on 96khz - 24 bit waves. Any ideas? Thanks.

Back