Specs. for Hard Drive ?

Badtz

I was wondering ...

would audio editing be considered a process that requires a lot of sequential data?

what would be more important : STR or Access Times ?

I'm trying to weigh out the benefits of going RAID-0 since the STR is slightly better, or with a SCSI setup since access times are better.

How many tracks @ 24-bit/44.1Khz does it take for a regular ATA/IDE 7200rpm to where it's limitations start to show?

:)

Thanks for any input/help

I have gotten 53 tracks on an ata drive (not the C drive) with no problem running nuendo.

I'm not sure Raid 0 is worth the hassle. You'll have to get a third (& maybe a 4th) drive to backup your Raid data, or go 0+1.

As long as you have sufficient ram, the hard drive is not usually the bottleneck. A bog standard hard drive should play 100 tracks of 24/96 audio easy. Your cpu will choke first

Bulls Hit said:
I'm not sure Raid 0 is worth the hassle. You'll have to get a third (& maybe a 4th) drive to backup your Raid data, or go 0+1.

As long as you have sufficient ram, the hard drive is not usually the bottleneck. A bog standard hard drive should play 100 tracks of 24/96 audio easy. Your cpu will choke first

can it RECORD 100 tracks easily?

Badtz said:
can it RECORD 100 tracks easily?

I'd like to see any computer that's capable of recording 100 tracks easily.
Then I'd like to see it's soundcard. :rolleyes:
Provided there is a sufficient amount of RAM and the CPU is up to the processing task at hand, most any of the newer hard drives will be capable of streaming that amount of data.

Back