Specific Converter and Clocking Question

In Tune Audio

He's the scenario, I am running a Tascam DM24. Digital conversion is happening there, and is sent via ADAT to the RME Hammerfall HDSP9652. I'm recording to Sonar 5 PE. I recording at 24/44.1. Ideally I would love to get some better converters, however that is currently not an option.

I currently have the DM24 setup as the master (because the RME's autosync works really well and have found it a little more consistant than running the board as slave), and using one of the ADAT's as the sync.

So my two questions are

(1) Despite what I said above, would it be better to run the RME as the master?

(2) Rather than using the ADAT as my sync reference, would hooking the two up via word clock be a better more stable clock source, or would there be no difference.

Thanks for any help!

I dont think it will make too much difference until you start plugging more adat interfaces, then the RME will have to be master. Have you tried both ways? I have my TDIF card as the master in my system since going the other way around with the mixer as master caused problems

I found my convertors on my DM24 inproved noticably when I clocked all my digital gear to a Lucid GenX.

Back