Speaker sources for replacements?

Scooter B

Besides Parts Express what are some good (price, quality and selection) speaker replacement sources?

I have an old pair of Bose Interaudio (gag and 20 years old!) home speakers that I used to use in the garage with an old reciever/CD player that died. The woofer surrounds look a little worse for the wear and the speakers were never that flattering for the home stereo

They are ported and approximately 18" X 11" X 8" interior dimensions with an 8" woofer 8 3/4" frame and a 4" tweeter frame.

Potential uses would be for recording some reamped tracks (for experimenting anyway - getting some room ambience), alternate monitor source (planning on getting the Wharfedales soon) or back to the garage if I get another music source.

I was looking at spending $50 or so just for fun and looking for recomendations for speakers, crossovers and tweeters.

Parts Express had these for just under $20 a piece
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=292-212
then I would need some tweeters...I was thinking piezo's for good transient response.

If I mic some for reamping stuff (after DIing most tracks) with these I am looking for some early reflection room ambience and adding some higher frequency transients for drum machine and guitars...I am not that concerned about the bass response for this purpose as the early reflections muddy up the bass.

Worse case scenario they go back to the garage but hopefully sound better!

Thanks

Thanks Mshilarious,

What is the difference in PA speakers?

I thought it might take more power and survive more abuse than the home audio speaker.

Scooter B said:
Thanks Mshilarious,

What is the difference in PA speakers?

I thought it might take more power and survive more abuse than the home audio speaker.

That's true, however you shouldn't need that much power for studio monitoring. Really 15-30W is plenty, given that sensitivity is 89dB for 1W.

I'm not an expert by any means on speaker design, but it seems to me that the higher power handling hardware might come with a penalty in transient response, or flatness of response, or something. I can't find a spec sheet for that driver on the Pyle site, but the Dayton specs are on the partsexpress site.

One big red flag on the Pyle driver is the frequency response of 50Hz-6kHz, vs. 29Hz-3kHz on the Dayton. That's consistent for a an 8" PA driver which is probably intended as a midrange woofer.

One big red flag on the Pyle driver is the frequency response of 50Hz-6kHz, vs. 29Hz-3kHz on the Dayton. That's consistent for a an 8" PA driver which is probably intended as a midrange woofer.

Good point!

Also as I mentioned I want a good transient response for re-amping!

One other question Mshillarious,

My original budget was closer to $50 and these would be a bit over $100...

What do you know about Dayton Speakers overall. Pyle I have heard of but the only place I have ever seen anything by Dayton is in Parts Express.

If I am spending $100 on just the parts and I have the cabinet already they had better be pretty darn good. I don't want to throw away $100 on passable if you know what I mean.

Scooter B said:
One other question Mshillarious,

My original budget was closer to $50 and these would be a bit over $100...

What do you know about Dayton Speakers overall. Pyle I have heard of but the only place I have ever seen anything by Dayton is in Parts Express.

If I am spending $100 on just the parts and I have the cabinet already they had better be pretty darn good. I don't want to throw away $100 on passable if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I dunno, might be a Parts X private label. I haven't tried their speakers, but I use their crossover parts & I like 'em.

For drivers I usually use Seas, Morel, or Vifa, which tend to run a bit more than $100/pair . . .

However I feel pretty confident that the Dayton parts will totally kill the original Bose units, and will beat anything you could buy for $200 (and probably more).

Back