speaker recommendations needed

pchorman

I'm trying to make the right choice in PA speakers for a rock band that will be playing small to medium sized clubs. The speakers will mainly be used for vocals but we may occasionally pump bass or drums through them (most of the clubs aren't large enough to bother micing the drums).

Are 15" speakers the minimum standard (vs. 12")? I hear they push a lot more air than the difference in diameter implies.

Are there any happy owners of the Yamaha s12e's or s15e's out there? Are the series IV club speakers worth the extra $$?

Thanks much

Last edited:
I've never been too impressed by Yamaha cabs but I don't know which exact models I've heard. You can't go too wrong with JBL or EV. 15" are pretty standard if you are going to be putting drums and bass through the system. If it's vocals only then 12" is fine.

so 15's if drums and bass get pumped through them. I see that the JBLs cost a little more, but I've always liked Yamaha gear. have never had their speakers though.

I'm looking for passive speakers. Will be using a Yamaha EMX66M powered mixer, 300W + 300W (or 600W bridged).

Back