Speaker Ratings???

mikeh

OK - I'm a drummer and while I have decent guitar chops, I've always used either amp sims (POD, J. Station) or combos.

So, I bought an Epi Valve Jr. head and a used 2x12 with 8 ohm speakers - and I know I need to use the 4 ohm out on the amp.

Now is where I show my ignorace (keep in mind - I'm a drummer - so please speak very slow :D ). I just picked up a 2x10 (to try different options) and I can't find anything to confirm the speakers are 8 ohms.

If the speaker cab/speaker does not clearly identify ohms - how do I know what ohm output to use??? If I understand correctly, choosing the wrong ohm out will not cause damage - it will simply render less than ideal sound. Do I just try each of the ohm outs and trust my ears??

I suspect there is an easy answer - which I suppose I could research - but since I'm lazy as well as ignorant - I choose to post a question here :eek:

Please educate me!!!

Borrow an ohmmeter and measure the DC resistance at the speaker jack. The DC resistance is always less than the speaker's rated impedance but will be higher than the next step down in impedance.

For example, a 5.8-ohm reading indicates an 8-ohm nominal speaker, and a 13.3-ohm reading would indicate a 16-ohm nominal.

BTW, two 8-ohm speakers can be wired in parallel to yield a 4-ohm load, or wired in series to yield a 16-ohm load. Either is fine as long as you are matching your amp to that load.

Back