Speaker question

dogn4u

I have a big pair of Cerwin-Vega floor standing speakers with a big Denon amp in my living room that I use for critical listening and mastering (no, only for others; I'd never presume to master my own stuff. Big mistake.). Anyway, I need to replace a 12" woofer, and I started looking at the Parts Express catalog. I wouldn't mind paying say $200 for a pair of good 12" woofers...provided there was some consensus that there would be an improvement in bass. My criteria for bass being: Tight, deep, and fat.

Now, the C-V speakers are quite impressive. I bought this pair a few years ago because I remembered a pair my brother had in the 80's that sounded amazing for the price. It's so hard (and usually expensive) to get true, deep bass from a speaker. A sub doesn't work in my living room - I can NOT seem to place it so that the sweet spot is anywhere near the couch...while with my Vegas carefully lined up, the middle seat on the couch is fantastic, with great imaging and depth. The curse of a square room: standing waves. My point is that I don't think you can buy a better pair of speakers for $5-600.

So, bearing in mind that the CVs are pretty good already, would you all say it makes more sense to put in a good pair of aftermarket woofers or just buy an oem replacement? And BTW, unlike with monitors for tracking, I'm not necessarily after a flat response. A little coloration in the right places, as with a good mike, is fine, if anyone knows characteristics of different brands, ie Morel, Eminence, etc.

Thanks
Rudi

Back