Speaker positioning

That was a fun read.

Has Neil Young gotten bored with Ponos and started work on some other nonsense now?

Cheers for the entertainment guys. :thumbs up:

The equilateral triangle for monitoring is not a myth. Nor is it a theory. It is simply a practical recommendation that has stood the test of time. Do a google image search on studio control rooms and you will see it in abundance.

None of this, though, is relevant to the OP, who simply wanted to know whether his vocal booth was going to mess up his monitoring.

The equilateral triangle for monitoring is not a myth. Nor is it a theory. It is simply a practical recommendation that has stood the test of time. Do a google image search on studio control rooms and you will see it in abundance.

None of this, though, is relevant to the OP, who simply wanted to know whether his vocal booth was going to mess up his monitoring.

Well...I think the vocal booth/monitoring question is connected to his monitor position...and the thread title is "Speaker positioning". :)

Maybe we should all have just said, "Yes, the booth will be a problem." It would have been much easier! :D ;)

Think again. All the guy has to do is roll his chair back about 3 feet, and there it is. Really no different than how I work - I've got to roll my chair back about 1-1/2 feet for the best stereo imaging.

And that's exactly what I was trying to say all along. In this form, it's not a rule. And if you check various pages on the net, you'll easily notice that. Rod Gervais, who wrote a book about studio acoustics, puts the point 16 inches BEHIND your head, fi.

What I mind is that it will mislead beginners. Maybe even leading to a stiff neck, trying to stay in the magic spot. :D

I'm pretty sure the vocal booth will influence monitoring. I'm also sure the uneven room will influence it. And not very much, as the open space behind the right speaker will eat some low, but our ears are not as sensitive for low (which someone remarked).

That's why I'm waiting for some questions about measuring. Or, if it goes well without question marks, some graphs. These will give a better idea than words, cause acoustics are very hard to describe.

You can not get symmetric stereo sound if your room is not axially symmetric and monitors are placed unsymmetrically. It can not be corrected by EQ. Other basic problems are parallel surfaces - including walls, floor and ceiling, and perpendicular or parallel to any of these surfaces placement of monitors. If you have std square room - try to use diagonal axis. Use vertical angle of monitors too. Room acoustics optimal damping is the next and much more comlex question harder to describe.

agree with gecko . no need for an iso booth in a bedroom studio. i have one here. but bass trap in that corner to left of desk will help you a ton when you start mixing.

That's why I'm waiting for some questions about measuring. Or, if it goes well without question marks, some graphs. These will give a better idea than words, cause acoustics are very hard to describe.

Sure. If I was constructing a purpose-built professional studio either within an existing structure or as a new building, I would be looking at a lot of graphs, measurements and diagrams.

If I am just an average resource-poor plonker sitting at a desk in a bedroom doing my own thing, measurements and graphs are irrelevant. The room is sub-optimal to start with, and will be compromised further through the addition of a vocal booth which is unlikely to conform to any notion of best practice for such things. There are many people in this situation: they do their thing in spaces that are acoustically unfriendly because that's all they have.

If they decide to pursue their craft more seriously, they will develop skills, knowledge and experience, and learn about the handicaps they face. There will come a time when they realise that the bedroom is not satisfactory and was never going to be satisfactory. But until they are ready to do that, they make the best of what they have and can afford. That, in itself, is good learning experience.

I understand that feeling...

But some of us DO want to learn. And it's a bit ironical that in both the cases of the rules that got some here up in arms (38% and the equilateral triangle), the person who created them states that these rules are only true if:

- it isn't a very small room
- the room has been professionally treated

I'll admit, "very small" and "professionally treated" aren't clear guidances.

Besides, I've guided dozens with treatment of home and other studio's. And the results were very good. It's not expensive and not very hard to do correct measurements. I understand if it isn't your thing, but the op said he was going to get an measurement mic...

It is very hard, though, to get people to abandon their belief.

Besides, I've guided dozens with treatment of home and other studio's. And the results were very good.

I mean really...you talk about the studios that you've set up or treated or whatever...how about posting a couple of pics of these places and the monitor setups that you've done, your way, that doesn't follow the "dogma"?
I would really like to see that..so show us your proof.

Mmm...I guess not.

Sorry, I listen. Never take pics of the finished studio. And the final placement of the monitors is done by the studio owner. Mostly by ear.

Besides, why would I bother anyways, as you don't take any arguments anyway? You just pick out one silly phrase to troll...

You just pick out one silly phrase to troll...

You mean like you did with "equilateral triangle"...?

Wow...all this talk of breaking from dogma and old beliefs, and thinking out of the box with alternatives, and the many rooms you've set up with that approach...

...and you got nothing to show?

I guess I have to remember that this is the internet, where often supreme wisdom and total anonymity go hand-in-hand.

Sorry, I listen. Never take pics of the finished studio. And the final placement of the monitors is done by the studio owner. Mostly by ear.

Besides, why would I bother anyways, as you don't take any arguments anyway? You just pick out one silly phrase to troll...

Ha, just sounds like a bad 'excuse' to me.

Nowadays people take pics of their fucking breakfast. It would seem someone would take pics of their work at least.
:D

Nowadays people take pics of their fucking breakfast. It would seem someone would take pics of their work at least.
:D

My favorite are the "unboxing" videos people will do on YouTube. :laughings:

I mean, how self-centered pathetic is that...to post of a video on the internet of you opening up a box with something you purchased. :facepalm:
The best ones are the fails...where they open the box all excited, and inside is something they didn't want or it's all busted up from shipping. :p

No reply to anyone:

I take pictures of my remodel projects constantly just to show homeowners the progress. It just makes them happy to see what is going on. That does not work the same for audio IMO.

I do not take pix of my studio experiences much as I have no reason to. Pictures do not make sound. Audio samples are not shared publicly until they are final mixed. Then they are a product that has to be paid for in order to listen. So I can't really share them without asking permission.

Honestly, I don't even care to share as I don't think it would be fair. Good lord that sounded arrogant. lol! Not meaning it that way at all...

That being said, I have no website, no portfolio nor a desire to find more clients. I have been around long enough in my hometown scene to have friends/bands that will only work with me in my studio. It is more like I become a member of the band or project.

Since having a little girl, I don't have the time-nor the desire to rehearse and play in a band again. Way too much time involved with others drama on my dime.

So I record, produce and still play a bit. It keeps me happy and I only hear 'Beth' every other day. lol

Since having a little girl, I don't have the time-nor the desire to rehearse and play in a band again.

I'm sure it's an all day/all week kind of thing bringing her up. :thumbs up:
How old is she now...about 6-7?

Hey...the whole picture thing was only a reaction to cyrano posting some pro studio pic and saying how the speakers were not following the whole triangle thing, and then also saying how he's done them differently.
So the studio picture posting thing had nothing to do with people needing to show off their studios or anything like that...it was about showing the alternate speaker position setup that he kept talking about, which I thought was relevant to the discussion.

Otherwise...I know what you mean about not caring to share sometimes. I feel like that too, and it's only on the "show us your studio" thread that I'll post up a couple once in a blue moon when a lot of people are posting theirs.
It's OK to show some pride once in awhile with your studio setup or maybe a new guitar you bought...etc. :)

Back