Speaker isolation

ericlingus

Hello, i'm just wondering what everyone puts their amp or cab while recording. Seeing how everyone says you have to crank the shit out of an amp to get the best sound out of it, what do you do to be able to do this without everyone in the house yelling at you? Also, those of you who put their amps in their closets, what do you do to treat the space especially the low end. Anyone use power attenuators like the THD hot plate?

ericlingus said:
Hello, i'm just wondering what everyone puts their amp or cab while recording. Seeing how everyone says you have to crank the shit out of an amp to get the best sound out of it, what do you do to be able to do this without everyone in the house yelling at you? Also, those of you who put their amps in their closets, what do you do to treat the space especially the low end. Anyone use power attenuators like the THD hot plate?

Hot Plates are the best solution IMO.

But this problem is why people with apartments or living situations where volume is an issue should consider other options than tube amps.

I never used an Iso box. Nor do I have any desire. I infact try to get as much room as possible at times. Even going so far as to put it in the hall with a close mic and one about 20' away.

But since you have your situation then a HotPlate will do the trick for the most part. Tube amps...namely combos.....tend to over heat quickly when enclosed in very tight quarters surrounded in sleeping bags and foam.

I have a 9mm on me at all times for instances like yours.

That way when someone starts bitching, you flash em' your piece and they'll usually shut up. If not, then the ol' pistol whip usually does the trick!

haha

well I plan on buying a cab for my combo amp so I can just put the cab in my closet and have the amp next to me. In addition to the hot plate, I plan on treating the closet.

There was an old refrigerator in an apartment I used to have and that was great for recording. I have also put my amp in a car in the garage and ran cables. A car is pretty good if you can isolate any rattles. You can crank the shit out of it and barely hear it outside.

Back