Speaker blown?.......

leaningpine

I have a set of old Cerwin Vega U351's with 15's in them. They were re-foamed 15 years ago. I did a frequency sweep on them and notice there was some fizzly noise in the woofer around 15hz. These speakers are 25 hz-20khz. Should I ignore this as just being noise since it was out of it's frequency range, or is there something actually wrong with the speaker?

It's speaker talk. Hang on I got this little translator app...

Yeah it means "Knock that shit off"

:D

Hard to know how hard you're running them down there. How about if you try it this way? Start at say 100Hz as reasonably loud as they like. With out changing the volume, sweep down. At about what freq do they start to drop like a rock? (50, 40?
That's about the usable cut off point. If they don't complain from there down at that level.. :)
Watch your cone excursion-vs- sound output. Lots of movement/low output = don't go there.

Thanks! That's what I was wondering about. It doesn't seem to make any noise other than in the 15 hz range which is actually lower than the speaker is rated to go (25 hz) and I can't hear it when I'm playing music so I wasn't sure whether to worry about it or not. Sounds like it's no big deal. I listen at reasonable volumes so the speaker hardly moves, but it can when pushed. I'm having one woofer worked on and was hoping there wasn't a problem with the other.

If it's down around 15hz, if it's a ported box, it is probably air noise from the air going through the port. At 15hz there is a lot of air being pushed, you don't hear it when there is other frequencies present. If it's not a ported box, it's probably air trying to get out of the box through any gap it can find.

Alan.

Back