Spdiff

skuthepoo

What can i use spdiff for?

Can i use it to send audio from my interface to my mixer? For example i use an old studiomaster 16ch desk, and that all gets used up and i'd like to send reverbs on aditional outs to go into the stereo rtn on the desk. Can i use spdiff for this?? Can you get spdiff cables to jack?

Im a complete noob at knowing what this spdiff thing is!

Thanks

It's a stereo digital audio transfer format. You can't connect it to an analog input (well, you can, you just won't accomplish anything useful if you do): you can only connect it to something that's expecting to get a s/pdif input, which would ordinarily be marked as such (or possibly something like "digital audio input").

For example:
- a digital recorder, like a DAT, say;
- a DA converter that's higher quality than the one in your computer interface; or
- a digital mixer (though s/pdif only carries two channel, so not all that useful).

Going the other direction (into your computer interface), you might use s/pdif:
- to substitute a higher quality AD converter for the one in your computer interface;
- to use a separate AD converter to get more simultaneous inputs (some computer interfaces have 2 analog inputs + 2 channels of s/pdif); or
- to use a digital mixer (which would, of course, give you bunch of simultaneous inputs).

spdif is digital. If it's an input you can use it for ins from any spdif source. As an example some FX pedals have spdif out which lets you skip a D/A A/D conversion. If it's an out you could conect it to an amp with an spdif again skipping one D/A A/D conversion.

Short answer: NO

EDIT: Curse you sjjohnston, you beat me to the punch while I was typing.

Back