Spdif?

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
I have one "visiting" (AW16g) in the studio this weekend. The owner wants some tracks to play with on his new machine, so I'm trying to get it to talk with my MOTU 828. So far all i get are these wierd crackling noises. when trying to use the optical in/out (SPDIF) of the machines. I'm asuming that the sampling rates of the machines must be the same, but I'm not exactly sure, I've never worked with SPDIF before, just ADAT. To do this, would i be limited to recording everything at 44.1 (the sampling rate of the 16g)

What I am trying to do is:
a)use 12 tracks on the MOTU- the 10 analog ins plus the SPDIF in from the AW16G (which will be preamping a few room mics- his mix will use these mics, i would like to have them too.)
b)i will be feeding the AWG-16 some of the inputs from my 828. i would like to not have to go A/D/A/D between the machines just to make this possible.

possible workarounds???
a)bump the room mic tracks over later, but what about sync?
b)mult my outs from my pre's and feed his machine directly. No problem there, but it would be nice have 2 of his tracks coming off my converters, if simply to be able to compare converters.

My software is Vegas 4. (if it matters)

Anyone got any advise on this head scratcher? Not sure how (if) this could work.

You need to have one machine as "the master" and everyone else slaves to it's clock... as well, all sample-rates need to be the same everywhere (otherwise it'll never clock smoothly together)......

Back