spdif not showing in pro tools...

jman1986

hey all,

i just got an t.c. m300 effects proccessor, i am trying to hook it up spdif, i have the spdif cables hooked up right, the unit is running fine, i have the internal clock all set, and the correct lights are running fine on the unit.

i have looked thru pro tools m-powered 7.4 and i cannot find anything about making it work thru spdif! i am so fustrated that i can't get this simple thing to work. Does anyone have any idea's to how to setup the spdif in pro tools m-powered? m-powered is not that much different then le.

thanks so much! - Jesse :(

What interface have you got?

Have you gone to the I/O page and set up an input path for the spdif?

Have you then selected the corresponding path in the channel strip you want to record to?

hey man, i have the fast track ultra 8r interface.

i tried going to the I/O page in pro tools. i can click on "new path" and rename it, but it finishes as "analog" but i don't no how to make that spdif.

witch then i can't correspond the path in the channel strip i want to record to.

Right when you go into the I/O setup, you have a routing matrix.

Along the top are your physical inputs (the SPDIF should be there at the right end I'm guessing). Along the side are the internal paths. You need to create a path (who cares what it's called) and then click in the corresponding row where that path and SPDIF cross. Should make sense...

that's the thing, there is no spdif. it is analog 1-6 then analog 7-8. it's like spdif doesn't exsit lol. i can't click and change the analog 7-8 to spdif 7-8 either... i hate this.

All of your problems are answered by reading the manual ;)

You need to open the control panel for the Fast Track Ultra 8r. Then you will need to change your clock to "external". Now inputs 7/8 on your I/O bay in Pro Tools will be the SPDIF signal.

The SPDIF output just mirrors the outputs of channels 7/8.

HTH

you do no a lot! lol, but for some reason, when i set my clock within my interface to external, my interface goes crazy and the lights blink alot and i think it is trying to sync the clocks together or whatever and it isn't working, the latest time i did it it worked, then when i tried to open a session it said pro tools won't support a 44.1k, witch made me laugh. because when the clocks did sync my sample rate on the fast track went to 48k.

i think my next option is to try this unit as an insert, it sucks with the spdif thing because at a certain point i was able to open a session and was able to hear some reverb/delay breaking through a whole bunch of crackle, so i turned it off right away.

You'll need to make sure your T.C. thing is setup to be the clock master.

Should all run hunky dorey then.

there's no software with the t.c. m300 how do i set it to clock master? in the interface i only have an opion of internal or external.

no of course not i didn't work... wtf i hate this, i can't believe i've been working at this all day and can't get this to work. i don't understand!!!!

from your manual:

This setup is ideal if you are using the M300
as a digital insert effect on your harddisk
recording system.
This setup requires that you are using an
I/O card with S/PDIF In/Out:
• Select Serial Routing by leaving the
ROUTING switch on the rear panel in Out
position.
• Connect the M300 S/PDIF digital Out to the
Digital Input on your soundcard.
• Connect the Digital Out on your soundcard to
the Digital In on the M300.
• Set your Soundcard to act as Master clock.
There can be different names for this setting
but “Internal Clock”, “Internal Sync” or
“Master“ are commonly used phrases.
(This is probably setup via you harddisk
recording program. Please refer to owners
manual)
• Press the DIGI IN button on the M300.
• If the DIGI IN LED is green, the M300 is
locked correctly on the Digital Input signal.
• If the LED is flashing Digital In is selected but
no digital signal is received within 5 seconds
or the signal is corrupt.
The M300 automatically returns to internal
clock and analog operation but will continue
to look for digital signal and the DIG IN LED
on the front panel will keep blinking.
Check cables and make sure that your
Soundcard is set as Master.
• Once setup you can use the M300 as a
plugin on your harddisk recording mixer.

Also, please make sure you're using S/PDIF cables...not just regular RCA cables.

hey benny,

ok i completely started over from scratch, i just did what u posted from my manual 15 mins ago, i can get threw everything fine, the light stays green and all.

but the prob is that the sample rate that the fast track and the m300 are syncing to is 48k, and that is fine to.

but when i open pro tools and i try to open a session this message pops up:
"the current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48khz."

now i don't no how to change the playback engine in pro tools (that's what i am guessing it's telling me).

benny, i love you!

It's working! just one more small problem, after about 5-10 seconds into what ever i am playing, i am hearing some click and poping noises that last for about 3-4 seconds.

I've played with the buffer a bit but it's doesn't seem to be that o_O

which one solved it for you (just in case anyone else comes along with the same question)?

What kind of cables are you using? Real s/pdif cables or just plain red/white RCA cables?

lol well the first one worked for me, but i had to do the opposite, i had a 44.1 session i was trying to get the m300 to work on. I created a brand new 48k session and it worked with the 48k session.

There's just some cracks and pops now, i can see the aux fader and the master fader jumping when it cracks, but the master is the only one peaking and turning red.

and for the cables they are plain black ones i bought on ebay for like $4 each.
some cheapo ones.

and for the cables they are plain black ones i bought on ebay for like $4 each.
some cheapo ones.

were they advertised as actual S/PDIF cables?
i would try new cables first. If you can't run out and grab the orange S/PDIF ones...at the very least, grab some of those yellow RCA composite video cables you might have sitting around left over from a DVD player or TV purchase or something.

I don't understand how the two devices can be locked together.

For the SPDIF inputs to be available on the fast track ultra 8r, external clocking needs to be selected.

The M300 manual doesn't mention any way to set the M300 as clock master. :confused:

Good work though Benny.

Back