SPDIF connections?

SirRiff

Greetings,

I generally see SPDIF conectors as shown here
called what? coaxial inputs? optical cable? I am not sure, what I know is the connector type.

NOW, I was looking to buy the Gibabyte GA-7VRXP which has listed:

-Audio (1 x Line-in / 1 x Line-out / 1 x Mic) connector

on its website.

In its user manual (Pg 67) it has written
-"SPDIF introducion- the spdif output is capable of providing digital signal to AC3 decoder which can support up to 5.1 speakers......click 'digital' iten, Line Out will be reconfigured to SPDIF out."

Is this possible fellows? The 1/8" jack or whatever a typical line out is, acting as digital 5.1 sound out? I don't know much about it, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Anybody explain this?
SirRiff

The two basic digital connectors are SPDIF and AES/BU(?). They are different formats and cables.

Dolby AC3 is an encoded surround signal that needs a AC3 DEcoder to convert it into 5.1 surround. If you are hoping to use SPDIF as a multi-channel digital cable, sorry, it wont work unless your gear is setup to use SPDIF as a data port. Otherwise SPDIF is a single digital stereo audio track.

Wow, I didn't get it...

Greetings,

OK that didn't register completely...

So an SPDIF port will transfer a stereo digital signal...

that will provide two channels of sound, for a left and right speaker.

I know the soyo dragon ultra has 5.1 support, but I forget the exact details about it.

so then the only way to get SPDIF with the giga would be to get a sblive card or something and disable onboard sound.

so my only question is how would onboard 5.1 sound on a mobo be setup? like on the soyo ulta.

I will have to look at teh soyo specs.

Thanks for teh info

SirRiff

SPDIF can transport 5.1. The thing is that spdif is normally used as a stereo connection. But: in the stream there is a bit that indicated what time of data is following. Now, if this is set to "non audio", the stream can contain anything you like, what it is can be described in the block info. Like a 5.1 stream to be decoded by a suitable decoder. AC3 does not contain full bandwith suround signals, so it can be fit in.

As for connectors, it should be an RCA, but the nice thing about standards is that you know exactly what you are doing wrong. A small adapter cable is not difficult to make.

I don't know if you can use such an output as a regular (stereo) output. If someone can shed a light on that please do.

Here's what you guys are missing. SPDIF is simply a stereo digital connection.

Surround sound is NOT multi track audio. Surround sound is a stereo track that is encoded either digitally or with phase tricks and if the receiver has a surround decoder it will split those stereo tracks into surround. The other channels are not full bandwidth.

There are different types of surround and some do have true multi channels but the above applies to most standards.

The surround sound that is on those mother boards is for DVD and games that support surround sound. You would send that signal to a receiver that supports AC3 and you will have surround sound.

Does that answer your question?

Wait...i might just get it...

Greetings,

OK let me see if this is right...

1. 5.1 only requires stereo channels, noit 6 (makes sense) because the 'location' of the signal is encoded into the stereo stream.

2. Thus, SPDIF using RCA outputs can send a 5.1 surround signal.

Makes sense except...

Q. if you have a regular line out jack (not SPDIF) can you set its output to "digital SPDIF output" and get equivalent output to the SPDIF 5.1 output?

i ask because the giga mobo manual says this is how you can get 5.1 support with its line out jack, which the soyou mobo has dedicated SPDIF rca ouputs.

The soyo lists 5.1 support as a prominent feature, while the giga does not. makes me suspicous of the giga's sound.

SirRiff

Most probably there is a swith inside that can switch the minijack from analog to digital. So to get the signal there is not that difficult. If it is the same signal, that is up to the software, probably driver. As for quality, that will more depend on the ac3 decoder than the mobo. On the other hand a dedicated connection means that it will be less needed to switch cables, this might be a good thing with 1/8 plugs.

From a function standpoint there is no difference from an analog or digital surround signal. They are just transmitting the same thing.

But, AC3 is a little newer and may possibly require a digital source. The older Dolby surround worked off of an analog stereo signal. There are different formats and it does get confusing.

If you really want dependable surround on your computer get a SB Live or Audigy for less than $100. I wouldnt trust the sound card built into a mobo to play more then beeps and blings. I would anticipate driver problems relying on the mobo sound completely but I could be wrong.

FUnny!

A response I got on another forum...

"the gigabyte aonly has the following ports..

sound in, sound out, and microphone.. so if ya want surround sound ya need to get an PCI soundcard."

Don;t worry though...i believe you guys more.!!!

thanks for the info

SirRiff

Back