spacey tones, funky pedals, and idiosyncratic stomp boxs

robert jaybird

Okay guys and gals. weve all heard of the ada flanger,or the tube screamer right?I want to know what you guys use to get those dirty shimmering ethereal sounds from your axe.Im talkin' vintage,pawnshop, or boutique effex.

im talking abusing equipment in ways it was never meant.im talkin about puttin away your pod and adjusting your tube amps distortion till its just a messy blob then having a buddy tweak the flanger, delay and other stuff till your heads spinning.Im talkin funky spacey gritty wierdness of tone through stomp box's.

So lets forget our eventide and our digitechs and
No boss or dod allowed(too obvious).what stomp boxes have you found to be "trippy"/killer?

havin a blast,
robert

Elecro Harmonix was undoubtably the coolest,crappiest pedals back in the 60s and 70s(not the russian stuff being sold under that name now).Of course their Big Muff pi was famous with Hendrix.
Tom

Looking for some freaky crazy sounds? Listen to Sonic Youth, especially from Washing Machine onward, they use some crazy spacey stuff. Example: MXR Phase 90 (or 100) and the MXR Blue Box. The Blue Box will give you crazy fuzz/octave sound, that sounds really crazy when paired with the Phase. That's what I use. When you turn the blend hard left and attack the strings, the amp sounds like it's exploding. I saw Sonic Youth with Stereolab live this summer, the Stereolab guitarist had some weird ass thing...it wasn't really a pedal...it kinda looked like a mini-mixer (something the size of/little bigger than the EH Microsynth) which had a bunch of knobs on it and he got some very spacey sounds from it. I saw a similar box that Sonic Youth used when they played on Conan O'Brian. Anyone have an idea what it may be? Mu-Tron possibly?

Well,
the rockman gave up the ghost a long time ago, so I scored this gp-100 that is really sweet. It agrees with me and my musical visions. I gave up on the cables and the stomp boxes. I got enough to deal with, bubba.

Back