SP VTB-1 tube substitutions?

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
Hi. I was wondering if anyone here has attempted to substitute the 12AX7 tube that comes standard in the VTB-1 with any other type (i.e. a "12AY7" tube perhaps) and had any success? I'm using the VTB-1 to power a ribbon mic for recording acoustic guitars and noticed that the 12AX7 tube seemed a bit "hot" adding a bit more "sizzle" than I'm looking for, even when the "toob" mix was turned way down.

BTW: IMHO, the SP VTB-1 pre sounds a LOT better on my ShinyBox 46L ribbon mic for recording acoustic guitars than the Summit 2BA-221 I bought specifically for this purpose. Needless to say, I sent the Summit back and will just keep using the VTB-1. It's nice when the less-expensive stuff sounds better than the expensive stuff... ;)

Thanks! :D

-mr moon

Mr. Moon said:
Hi. I was wondering if anyone here has attempted to substitute the 12AX7 tube that comes standard in the VTB-1 with any other type (i.e. a "12AY7" tube perhaps) and had any success? I'm using the VTB-1 to power a ribbon mic for recording acoustic guitars and noticed that the 12AX7 tube seemed a bit "hot" adding a bit more "sizzle" than I'm looking for, even when the "toob" mix was turned way down.

BTW: IMHO, the SP VTB-1 pre sounds a LOT better on my ShinyBox 46L ribbon mic for recording acoustic guitars than the Summit 2BA-221 I bought specifically for this purpose. Needless to say, I sent the Summit back and will just keep using the VTB-1. It's nice when the less-expensive stuff sounds better than the expensive stuff... ;)

Thanks! :D

-mr moon
I was also quite impressed with the VTB-1 and shiny box combo. I'm digging the sounds I'm getting using the shiny box and a Groove Tubes GT66 in MS configuration. Lush and smooooth :D

I've used the VTB1 with the Nady RSM-2, and it works great. I turn the tube blend off (if it is all the way to the left, the tube is not in the circuit at all -- it is completely solid state). I've not tried any other tubes. I did take off the lid once and the tube seemed like a pain to get out, so I just left it.

I have (2) VTB-1s that I use basically for DIs. I've never tried the mic pres tho' ( I will soon ). I remember reading somewhere, someone upgraded their"s with another tube and also got rid of the #4558 op-amp (?) and it improved quite a bit!..... :cool:

Mr. Moon said:

...the 12AY7 series has a lower gain factor than the 12AX7 tubes, so I would stay with a 12AX7 series in a preamp application...but, truth is, with a starved-plate circuit as the VTB-1 has, I'm not sure any tube upgrade would make a noticeable difference in sound quality...I upgrade the "toobs" in most of my mics and pres, but I've chosen to leave the VTB-1 as is...if it ain't broken, you know the drill...

Back