SP B1 vs. Behringer B1

Rhythmschism

I really apoligize if this has been covered to point of nausea in the past, if so just ignore this post. But since the search here won't accept a 2 letter search term "b1" and I didn't see this covered in the sticky's, could anyone share their experience with one or both of the mics to give me an idea of their differences and pros/cons?

Oh, hah, I should have thought of that, thanks.

I was able to find quite a bit of material on the SP 1, but not much on the behringer or much comparison between the two.

I think for most people, the Studio Projects B1 is the one to get. Comparatively, it's very quiet and does a fine job on acoustic guitars and voices.

Rhythmschism said:
Oh, hah, I should have thought of that, thanks.

I was able to find quite a bit of material on the SP 1, but not much on the behringer or much comparison between the two.
Your welcome... oh, and billisa is correct in stating many people on this mic bbs will tell you they prefer the 797 Audio/Studio Projects B1 over the Behringer B1... however, I believe most of them have never heard the two mics side by side. I've heard both mics side by side and I prefered the SP B1 but it was a long time ago so I can't remember why I prefered the SP B1... but I do remember it wasn't much better. In fact, it was so close that I'd like to hear the two side by side again someday.

Last edited:
I have both the SP B1 and the Behringer B1. The Behri has a way more hyped top end. The SP mic sounds much smoother. I really liked the SP B1. Didn't really like the Behringer.

And they don't really sound alike at all. I'm no expert and I could hear a large difference. Especially in the top end.

Hey thanks Dethska, thats what I gathered, but just wanted to hear someone's direct experience with each. I think I'll be picking up an SP B1.

I have a Behriinger B1, and I have never personally tested a SP B1. I have heard some bad sample recordings online when people used the Behringer, but mine sounds great, better than the online SP B1 recordings it was being compared to. I have heard that with Behringer, you either get a piece of crap or something surprisingly good. I guess I got lucky. Especially since I mail ordered it. I would suggest demoing the mics yourself if you get a chance.

I guess I should have added I liked it better on my voice, in my mixes, in my room, through my pres, and onto an ADAT.

IMO the SP is better than the Behri, YMMV, use your own ears, better is subjective, etc, etc.

I haven't tried the Behringer mic.

But I have two SP B1s and they are flat out fantastic. I use them for everything, it seems - they're versatile as hell and just plain deliver the goods.The last time I used one was about a week ago to track an Easter Triduum choir. Just prior to that I tracked a live solo operatic tenor performance of Wagner's The Prize . This guy can overload mics because he has such a wide dynamic range and incredible power - German opera at its loudest. :D The B1 could handle it. So there are two ends of the spectrum.

All in all Ive heard them both side by side and liked the SP B1 alot more...the Behringer B2 was worth trying...its a rebadged rode NT2...I liked it for nasty rock vocal...like Seger, Melencamp..etc.

Dethska said:
And they don't really sound alike at all. I'm no expert and I could hear a large difference. Especially in the top end.
Yeah, they did sound different to me too. What I meant was, I'm not so sure which one is better anymore because I didn't get a chance to try them will a bunch of different sources... so it would be fun to test them both again side by side again someday.

Back