SP B1 or MXL603s (pair of)

Scoop

Hi,
There's alot of info in favour of both of these but I can't find any direct comparison.
I need primarily Drum OH, but will be doing Acoustic, piano, etc. too.
The prices are about the same, so wat ya think?
I guess this also has a flavour of SDC vs. LDC ...
I know I'll probably not get a difinative answer but gear is expensive and hard to get in South Africa so I don't wanna screw this purchase up...
Thanks to all...
Scoop.

It's a tough call for what you need. If you're only doing instruments, I'd go with the MXL's. They'd be more suited to acoustic guitars and they're great drum overheads...But I wouldn't use them for vocals. The B1 is a great mic for the $ and could be used for vocals and even acoustic instruments if necessary (never used it on piano - it's decent, not great, on guitar). I'd get as many opinions as possible and go from there. Just one opinion.

Thanks Rick,
I'm looking to get a Rode NTK or NT2a for vox so using the pair for instr only I guess... So you reckon go with the 603s...?

I guess one thing to consider is the types of stuff you'll be recording. If a lot of the arrangements are sparse with just a piano or an acoustic guitar and not too much else going on then I think you'd really want the ability to record in stereo.

If the mixes are going to be busy anyway then I'm sure you'd get by fine with just the one mic.

Back