Sp B1 & B3

MrGrooves

Ok, I'm trying to build a mic locker. As a student, this is a little bit difficult, and I'm trying to justify every penny I spend.
So far I got:
3 sm57's (guitars, snare, toms)
1 sm58 (vocals)
2 Oktava 012 (I recently picked these...hopefully will get them next week...only cardioid and pad capsules for now).

Now, here's my question. I want one or 2 LD for general use and 1 specialized vocal LD. I'm leaning towards 2 SP B1's for general use and C1 for vocals. I've read great things about the SP mics in these forums and in many other sites.
But, It would be nice if I could do M-S with the general use LD's. I know there's a mutli pattern B3 mic, but a pair of them will scale the price to much. Besides, I'll only really need one multi pattern for figure 8 and the other one would be cardiod. So I was thinking, since the B1 and B3 look similar (in the response graphics as well), could I get away with 1 B1 and 1 B3 and still get good M-S?

Another question, is the 012 a good mic of H hats?....I know they are good as OH (I've tried them already).
Next will be a good kick mic, e602 or Beta 91, not sure yet, but that will pretty much cover all my needs.

Thanks in advance!

1) Yes, a B1 with a B3 will work for MS.

2) Yeah, the MC-012 will work, but I like the SM81 on HH. You should have tried a MC-012 on the HH the same day you tried them as O.H.'s. :)

Last edited:
Remember, M-S doesn't require you to use matched mics for both the M and the S. By the very nature of the different patterns, they're not going to sound the same. The C1 with your B3 would probably do fine for that if you want to keep price down by buying only two mics instead of three.

Hey thanks guys....
what about the B1/B3 pair for spaced pair or X-Y? With a C1 things might be different here, I dunno, but what about B1-B3 for these other stereo techniques?

Btw, bpm music has free ground shipping on the B1 and B3, and they have the same price as mac midi music and others. I couldn't find them lower than $79.99 and $159.99 respectively.
http://www.bpmmusic.com/studioprojects.htm?source=overture

Jburn34 said:
What's m-s? Is it one of the stereo patterns?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Exactly. One mic handles the middle of the soundstage, while the other in figure 8 handles the sides. The recording needs to be processed in order to get left and right out of mid and side. The mid is the same as left + right while the side is the same as left - right.

The nice thing about M-S is mono compatibility and the ability to adjust the stereo depth.

Anyways, that's about the prices you'll find. They should be fine for spaced or X-Y. Don't forget blumlein. The reason I REALLY want to get some B3s is blumlein stereo on small chamber music ensembles. It sounded VERY very good. Better than another student recital recording (recorded by a student as well) I heard with someone using 414 B-ULS in the same config...

I haven't tried the blumlein technique...bollocks...now I'm tempted for 2 b3's ....we'll see.
Jburn34, here's an example of M-S used as OH's... AKG's 414's were used:

DISCLAIMER: I don't own either of these mics, nor have I heard them (yet). This is based solely on what I've read here (several times).

Based on most of the posts I've read, there is a slight difference between the B1 and B3 (ie, the B1 is not just a cardioid-only version of the B3). That difference may become apparent during spaced or coincident pair stereo mic'ing. For that very reason, I'm intending to audition 2 B3's.

just my 2 cents.

-mg

Back