sp b1 and demo drums

martinepiphone

our band is about to record a 5 song demo, and we just wanted to get a drum track for each song, but we dont want anything very technical, and we only have one condenser mic (sp b1). has any of you guys ever recorded a drum track with just positioning one condenser mic at a neutral spot around the drums, and got the drum track that way, and take in mind it is only a demo...we will get the volume and everything set up before we record, we just wanted a decent clean sounding drum recording...can you do it this way? we have a mic stand that we can probably maneuver any way needed, so just let me know what you guys know...thanks!

Absolutely, it can be done. With the drummer playing, walk around the kit and listen. Try to place the mic where it sounds the most balanced. More than likely, it'll take some trial and error to get a balanced sound from the kit. Record/listen/adjust the mic placement/record/listen again/adjust mic placement....:cool:

You can do it if you arent expecting an excellent sound
You prolly have to somewhat give up on really having a good kick - and instead focus it on the snare/cymbals. Try it to the drummers right hand side (couple feet off, in back of the floor tom), high up, and aimed a little higher than the snare.
I have found this gives most of the cymbals, the snare and toms.
I will probably get beaten into the ground for this but thats how Id approach it. (Basically just position it around the room till you get what you are looking for. The above has been my experience - and in that case I used an SM57

and got a decent track CONSIDERING the circumstances). However - Ive only done the one mic trick once (and for somewhat good reason. = ) The track did come out well but I didnt have as much control over the final sound
(board wont let me post long messages for some reason)

Last edited:
Back