Sovtek Mig 100

RJandthefull

I recently heard about amps made by Sovtek and I hear great things about them. I am looking for a new amp and this seems like a viable option. They got great reviews and they are inexpensive compared to marshalls. Does anyone know where I can get one? New or used I have no preference.

thanks
-RJ

i played thru a used mig at a store in traverse city michigan which is about 50 miles from where i live. the thing rips and it sounds very well how do i say it smooth and bitey at the same time. they are very well made and hey what can i say not everyone has one(which is the case with marshall), i believe marshalls to be way overated and overpriced anymore, the older ones rock but i dont care for the newer ones much, the all tube marshals sound good though. but you better have a deep wallet.i would say check e-bay and check the sovtek website to see if they have a dealer locator on there. if theres one on e-bay you might save some deniro. good luck on finding it and if it sounds like the one i played through youll love it im sure. god bless flash

There's usually at least one Sovtek head going on eBay a week.
Sovtek Mig 50 and 100. And some different variations, usually just knobs are slightly different.

The Mig 50 head is usualy around $125-$150
And the 100 runs about $200-$250

that's usually what I see on eBay with the Sovtek heads, though, sometimes people go mad and just want to win and sometimes they'll go for $325

I was suggested to check out the sovteks sometime ago, so I check eBay now and then. Haven't bought one or played through one. But I still might buy one someday.

I heard you can only find them at auction sites, or used at non-major chain music stores. So, don't bother checking guitar centers, or any big name music store.

As they aren't being made anymore those are the only two real options.

But check eBay, there's usually always one-three up there.

To judge from recent eBay sales I'd say they were going up in price, probably beyond their actual worth.

Some people like them, but I have read of several instances of pretty dramatic failures involving fires, which is consistent with the reputation of Russian consumer electronics.

I have heard that this was why importation of these amps was discontinued, but I cannot confirm this.

Caveat emptor!

Yeah, I went and checked the status of them on eBay a few hours ago.

The price has gone up since I was first recommended to check them out.

When I first looked at them they all and any model went for about $100-150 for a few weeks.

Then they went up pending on model.
Then they stayed pretty balanced at the prices I suggested earlier.

I've been keeping my eye on eBay ever since I borrowed a MIG-50 for a week. I loved that thing. The MIG 50 seems to go for about $225-300 plus shipping. I'd imagine a little more for a 100.

Try one out first though. People describe them to sound like Marshalls which I find to be inaccurate. I've got a Marshall 2203 and they're way different. The MIG 50 uses 6L6 (or 5881) power tubes. I'd assume the MIG 100 does too. Those are the tubes you're more likely to find in a Fender or Boogie. Marshalls usually go with the darker/grittier sounding EL34's (or 6550's). I thought the MIG 50 has more of a Fender sound to it.

i got a mig 50 on ebay a few weeks ago for around 300...sounds oh so SWEET with my les paul...best bang for the buck head hands down...love it.

And the Trogdor shreds in the NIIIIiiiIIIIIIiiiiIIIGGGHHHHHTT!!!! :cool: ;)

Wow, what a Paradox, Trogdor the Burninator plays on a amp-brand that has a reputation to combust! :D

I bought a mig 50 years ago when they first came out.

I would say it sounded like a hot rodded fender black face amp when turned up. It also sounded really hot when i plugged a DOD overdrive pedal into it. my 74 tele sounds awesome through it...very black crowes....

I love it and would never sell the Head....its a nice compact size also.

Sly

People describe them to sound like Marshalls which I find to be inaccurate. I've got a Marshall 2203 and they're way different.
That's the wrong amp. A 2203 is a JCM 800. The Sovtek Mig50 is a copy of a Fender Bassman crossed with an EARLY Marshall (like a JTM45). This is nothing like a late Marshall (JCM800) which is a master volume amp.

The Sovtek to get is the Mig50, don't even bother with the 100. The 50 has two separate inputs, one is really dark and beefy, the other is brighter and a little thinner. But don't worry, nothing about this amp is really "thin". It's think, beefy, and warm. It gets really nice distortion when you turn it up some, and it gets really loud. The Mig100's I've heard aren't really comparable. As far as the price, even if it went up to $500, I still think these amps would be absolute steals. I have no idea why they are not more popular or expensive, but their tone is well worth that price and then some.

Man..

I thought about gettin a Mig 50 a couple years back and turned one down for $100 at GC. DOH!!

I really liked the way it sounded, but I would've been playing it mostly in my old apartment... Plus I would need a cab ($$$)... I decided to eat and not get evicted..

Now I'm in a house still rockin the pratice amps.

What a idiot I am... but those were the days I could fight the G.A.S.

Good luck in your search! check the local stores, papers, etc too.

Rock on!
Pat

Back