Southside's Metering and Gain Structure Primer

SonicAlbert

Super-Sonic "Herb" Albert
Southside,

Just want to thank you for the metering and gain structure chart that's on your web site. I know that must have taken quite a bit of work.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/

My only request would be for a printer friendly version. I don't know if you've attempted to print it, but when doing so there are some big blank spots that render it useless.

Simple black print on white background would be very useful. I personally would like to print it out and keep it around as reference. When I find useful charts I do that, and I also keep hard copies of my midi, audio, and patchbay wiring. I'd like to add this to the collection.

Just want to thank you for the metering and gain structure chart that's on your web site.
My only request would be for a printer friendly version. I don't know if you've attempted to print it, but when doing so there are some big blank spots that render it useless.
Thanks a buch, Alby, it's always nice to find out that someone actually gets some use out of some of that stuff.

Yeah, right now those Online Resources are set up as online applets only, not really set up at this point for offline options such as printing and such. I hope you at least noticed that I did take your advice from last time with teh Compression tutorial and changed text colors for higher contrast ;).

Sometime in the near future I do want to revisit each of those applets (and any others that may possibly come out of the oven) and set up full-offline versions that would include more text-print friendly functionality. I'm with you there.

Right now, though, I have several other buns in the development oven over at IRN (one or two of which will be coming out VERY shortly) that are taking up my development and production time, so it will be a little while before I can come back to the current online applets and update them to any serious degree.

G.

SOUTHSIDE, please keep em coming, I'm learning new stuff and polishing up on old.

thanks alot

bigtom

I *did* notice that the metering applet was much easier to read.

The offline versions would be very useful as well, I do hope you get to those someday. When I work I do like to keep hard copies of various reference materials close by. Maybe I'm just old fashioned!

Thanks again!

The offline versions would be very useful as well, I do hope you get to those someday. When I work I do like to keep hard copies of various reference materials close by. Maybe I'm just old fashioned!
It's funny, because evrybody has different desires. Not too long ago I moved the compression notebook from a download to an online version because I got a slew of requests to do so and just as many complaints that they actually had to download the applet. I have no doubt that when I offer the offline versions as well, that I'll get complaints from people that I'm giving tem too many confusing options. ;)

Love it !!! Gives me stuff to read at night. Thanks !!!
You're welcome. That stuff *is* great for putting people to sleep ;) :D.

G.

I guess I don't mean an offline applet as much as a printer friendly version. Black print on white background, no interaction necessary. Just the graphs and the data, for reference purposes.

How could anybody complain about that? ;)

I guess I don't mean an offline applet as much as a printer friendly version. Black print on white background, no interaction necessary. Just the graphs and the data, for reference purposes.

How could anybody complain about that? ;)
Ah, the world is like one big mother-in-law...there's always somebody to complain about something. :D.

G.

I just started reading the gain staging...very much appreciated. your getting up there with Ethan in my book!

must be the free info...:D

I've read & drooled over the freq. chart, I've downlaoded the compression tutorial AND NOW THIS.
Excellent stuff - LOTS to read.
Impressive stuff & an enjoyable learning tool.
I'd be stoked with a rpintable version as my recording comp isn't online.
Thanks sonic & SSG

i was wondering if someone can record a tone for us on digital that are not sure best way to get the proper signal? something for for the ones of us that got the idea but arnt sure how to acheive this accurately without a guitar or somethin to test it properly....like im constantly messing with my preamp trying to get the signal correct before it even hits my recorder....if someone would kindly record a tone i could use as a guideline or a goal to match it would be extremely helpful.....thanx

Oh man, thanks again Southside!! As much as I know this stuff, it's incredibly handy to have the chart for quick reference when I think I'm confusing units. Maybe a printable version? :D

"Good gain structure typically means setting these levels to get the best balance of high signal and low noise, without sacrificing the headroom needed to capture the full dynamic range. Achieving this balance throughout the signal chain is key to getting the most out of our gear and for recording the best tracks we can."

There it is, pretty much in a nutshell.

Here's a link to a .pdf that describes how to match gear levels for best noise performance. :)

http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/studyjump.php?pdf=gain

Back