Source voltage for demagnetizing

canakas

Dear all,

In the cold north(read Norway) we use 220V instead of 110V.
As a nostalgic I proudly own a Tascam 246 Portasudio beauty, that I want to treat to regular head demagnetizing.

I am wondering if it, in the name of homogenizing the magnetic ion distribution in the head(isnt this what one does when demagnetizing?), could be bad to use a TEAC E-3 from eBay that runs on 110V, running it through a heavy duty transformer...? Would this have an impact on the "cleanliness" of the E-3s magnetic field, leaving my heads more 'caotic' than before?

The transformer is a pretty normal heavy duty transformer that gives about 300W on 220V.
Im asking this because I dont trust any demag unit I could round up for 220V to do the job right... the E-3 is widely renowned.

All you wisdom is appreciated

-canakas

So long as the step up transformer is electrically sound/working as it should, I can't see any real issue other then the process taking place at 50hz instead 60. It will still work to the same degree.

Cheers! :)

Glad to hear...

thanks man for your reply,

This sounds like my conclusion as well...

so the transformer does not do the 50 to 60Hz conversion... mmm I wonder how this affects the field...
I guess the sign of the field simply changes 50 instead of 60 times per second... and this, one can suppose, is not necessarily a bad thing...

-canakas

canakas said:
Dear all,

In the cold north(read Norway) we use 220V instead of 110V.
As a nostalgic I proudly own a Tascam 246 Portasudio beauty, that I want to treat to regular head demagnetizing.

I am wondering if it, in the name of homogenizing the magnetic ion distribution in the head(isnt this what one does when demagnetizing?), could be bad to use a TEAC E-3 from eBay that runs on 110V, running it through a heavy duty transformer...? Would this have an impact on the "cleanliness" of the E-3s magnetic field, leaving my heads more 'caotic' than before?

The transformer is a pretty normal heavy duty transformer that gives about 300W on 220V.
Im asking this because I dont trust any demag unit I could round up for 220V to do the job right... the E-3 is widely renowned.

All you wisdom is appreciated

-canakas

I took a transformer from a telephone pole once to get a good demag going. It evaporated my deck along with my mixing board, home etc.

The insurance company was not amused.

MCI2424 said:
I took a transformer from a telephone pole once to get a good demag going. It evaporated my deck along with my mixing board, home etc.

The insurance company was not amused.
The lesson here, I'm sure, is never to underestimate the power of Ma Bell! :D

Cheers! :)

Back