Soundtracs 16816

I was just given a Soundtracs 16816. It looks pretty vintage. Made by "Soundout Laboratories Limited" Surrey, England, with a number TLX8951073. Any info on this board? The 1073 sounds interesting! I need a power supply for the darn thing.

Attachments

• sountracs 16816.jpg
    sountracs 16816.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 124
The 1073 is just a coincidence. I think this may be their first model, made in '82! Any info would be great. I was not given a PSU with the board. It needs 48v and 17v power. I have access to the "Junkpile" at Musician's Friend's warehouse. If I don't find a Soundtracs PSU I'm thinking about customizing a Behringer or some Mackie PSU to fit the four pin input.

Last edited:
Hi,
I don't want to steer you away from this board but there are a bunch of audio techs at www.gearslutz.com that may be able to help you with this problem. Check out the site. Probably the quickest way to find the techs is to search the word "schematics" and get to reading. Good luck!

i own the soundtracs 'Topaz' mixer. I love this thing, it also is prety old (early 90's), but it sounds so nice! Most people here in the USA dont know much about this brand, only because its based out of the UK (great britan). Out there, this board is considerd medium-high end mix board, but over here.....people think they are junk, mainly because they never heard of them!

i just saw on ebay last week a PSU for a soundtracs board...i dont know if its stil there though, but sometimes youll see one floating around preyty cheap!

Most people here in the statews don't really think they are junk. Many of the people who are using nicer consoles don't like the Topaz because it is not nearly as nice as what they are using. Same goes for the rest of the Soundtracs line. In the live industry, Soundtracs did not fair so well. Their consoles had constant and consistent issues. The newer Soundtracs digital DIGICO D5 is out on a few tours, but there are more redily available more powerful and better sounding digital consoles out now and as a result, the D5's have dropped like a tank in price.

Basically, Sontracs never really put out a console that compared wewll with things like SSL, Neve, API and some of the other large format consoles. It lacked big time in the autopmation department, and in some ways was depleted sonically compared to those other consoles. For a smaller setup though, and a console on a budget, Sountracs actually has a good reputation. FYI, I am not sure being made in the UK has a lot to do with Soundtrac's lake of popularity. I think primarily it was based on the other things on the market at the time. In the live industry, the SOundtracs were pretty quickly shunned because they had no longevity. They broke down after just a few shows.

Back