Sounds won't stop???

Hobbiest

I'm using MIDI file through cakewalk and Winamp. from there it goes into a Korg X5DR. The sound doesn't stop when I hit the stop button on the computer,but the pause works. What's wrong?

If you mean a note is stuck - this is the result of a failed MIDI stop message. When you press a key it transmits a MIDI start (play a sound) when you let go of the key it sends a MIDI stop (stop playing the sound). Occasionally, the MIDI stream gets "confused" and the MIDI stop message does not get through.

On your Cakewalk screen there is an icon - depending on the version of Cakewalk - it looks either like an exclamation point or the "Screamer" (from the famous painting of the same name). If you click that icon, it sends a message (all MIDI notes off) which should stop the sound.

If this happens all the time you need to check your MIDI stream. There is a function on MIDI devices which is called "MIDI echo" - this means any MIDI info coming in is repeated going out. This can cause a MIDI loop. You may have to disable the MIDI echo function - probably on the Korg.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

exactly ... in cakewalk and many other sequencers when you hit stop it really stops. The nature of MIDI is it sends a note on, then on the release it sends a note off message. So, if you were holding a chord in the part where you hit stop the chord will ring out forever because you never sent your synth a note off message so it just assumes you intended to hold that chord for the rest of the day.

The panic button mentioned is what you need. Or under the Real Time menu select Reset. It might be nice if you could set something to do this automatically when you stop in the middle of playback, but to my knowledge there's no such feature (and there are reasons why you would not want to do this, so it would have to be optional.)

Back