Soundproofing for a PC

raven46

Up to now I've been using a Korg D3200 so my noisy pc has not been an issue while recording. I just got a usb interface and I'm looking for ideas/solutions in soundproofing the pc. I guess the best way to deal with it is to take it out of the room but before I knock a hole in my wall I thought I would ask is there any good method in building such a unit. I realise it would need some ventalation as the heat created inside would be a big problem for the pc

Also dose running long usb cables about 15ft/20ft affect the speed\capability between the interface and pc

TIA

Think about it, what is making the noise in the first place? Fans...
Not all fans are created equal! Buy some decent quiet fans and the problem goes away.

I spent about £80 on fans for my computer including a nice CPU heatsink and at the time it was inaudbile; two years later and some of the fans need replacing, but I probably only need to spend another £20 to get it back to 'silent'.

So evidently I get quite confused when people do drastic things like spending money on lining their cases with soundproofing (which probably turns the case into an oven at the same time) or drilling holes through walls...

Take a look at http://quietpc.com/

Yes. My recording pc has almost all passive cooling components. Only a single HSF, but it's a giant 120mm and its running very slow. Very quiet.

Keep the pc out of your cardioid pattern.

Back