soundproofing drapes

Tyler Sherman

Has anyone here had any experience with soundproofing drapes? I recently bought a house with a full, dry, unfinished cellar and am trying to find the simplest, cheapest way to create an area for doing demos without building walls. It does not have to be completely soundproof, I guess just significant sound reduction is what I'm after. My wife hates the idea of walls down there so I'm looking for an alternative. I found an internet company (www.soundproofing.org) that sells these drapes used pretty cheap but there's no sense getting them if they don't work. I see from previous discussons here that the best thing to use on the ceiling would be fiberglass panels, if I could find someplace here in Ocean County NJ that sells them. Of course, if I could get the drapes locally too, that would save me shipping charges as this company is in California. Any advice about these drapes appreciated.

Sound treatment and sound-proofing are two totally different things.

Drapes would be nothing more than sound treatment (ie, absorbing unwanted reflections in a room).....

Soundproofing requires specific construction techiques designed to isolate sound to a given area... and it isn't cheap. Just to give you an idea of the scope - if the area in question isn't watertight, it isn't "soundproof"........

Tyler, aside from Bear's always accurate advice I'll add this: Do yourself a favor, and UN-bookmark that site. My term for them is "super-sound-SPOOFING.CON" - their prices are horrendous, they either don't know what they are doing or are crooks, and if you follow their advice the only acoustic problems you'll get rid of are the ones that involve having to listen to all your money rattling around in your pocket. That's the nicest way I can put it... Steve

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on the drapes & theives at soundproofing.org . I'm actually trying to section off a small area in the cellar around my ADAT's & mixer for working on stuff early mornings or late nights by myself without disturbing my wife too much. I thought the drapes would be a quick solution to that problem while I try to figure out what would be best/cheapest for creating a larger studio area for band rehearsals/recording projects. It's looking more & more like some sort of walls or partitions will have to be put up whether my wife likes it or not.

Back