Soundproof cloth?

EvanOz85

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a cloth that could be completely wrapped over a microphone without affecting the sound? It doesn't need to provide any type of wind/breath filtering. It just needs to let as much sound through as possible. Kinda like the cloth in front of speakers I guess.

Anyone know where I could get something like this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
How about the cloth that you put in front of speakers? :)

It's called acoustically transparent cloth, or speaker grille cloth.

You should be able to get it at Radio Shack (someone confirm?) or Maplin or similar shop.

Great...now another question.

Speaker cloth is stretchy. Does it have to be stretched to be acoustically transparent, or will it work either way?

Thanks

A better question is: WHY do you want it???

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Attacking a problem while trying to read your mind isn't helpfull....

It's kinda complicated...I need the mic to blend in with something that I'm filming.

But I just need to know if the cloth needs to be stretched to be acoustically transparent.

cloth

EvanOz85,

If what you want is acoustically transparent try this test.

Hold the cloth up to your mouth and breath through it. If it offers no resistance and you breath as easy as if it weren't there it is acoustically transparent.

If it makes breathing difficult or balloons in and out as you breathe it's not.

I wanted to buy some cheap cloth to cover rigid fiberglass boards to make gobos. This was the recommended test.

I don't think stretching it makes any difference except for appearance.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Instead of going through the trouble of finding this mystical "acoustically transparent" stuff, you could just put some light, thin cloth of any kind in front of the mic, and then use a shelving EQ to boost the highs proportionately in post.

Hi there,
I don't think most kinds of cloth will really affect the sound too much for your purposes.

What about using a boom or overdubbing afterwards?

-MD

Back