Soundforge inquiry...

bmorris

A friend just gave me a full version of Soundforge. The dilemma is that i have no idea what this program is used for and need some direction about how to incorporate this into my current sudio setup. I am primarily hardware but looking to move into software.

L.O.S.T.

If your friend has already registered the software, you're not goning to be register it under your own name.

"A friend just gave me a full version of Soundforge.": That's called pirating.

There are books in the bookstore to tell you how to use it, but MadAudio is right-- when you install it and it tries to register....

It is his original software, but he no longer uses it. If he still has the registration key/code and uses it on my computer, will this be sufficient? Assuming that he has already deleted the program and all of its contents from his PC, will I have full rights to the software program?

So basically, this program is used to edit and alter two track stereo sources? Does this mean that it serves as a good addition to a Protools or Nuendo based recording program? Lastly, does this software do anything in the realm of mastering...

No. The product key that comes with the software is only the first part in the registration process. You have to register with Sony for it to be fully functional, and the registration number you get is based on a unique computer ID code that is generated by Sound Forge during installation. So, for example, when I bought a new computer, I had to re-register my software because the computer ID was now different.

But this is all moot, because I'm pretty sure that by the terms of the EULA that your friend agreed to when he installed and registered it on his machine, he cannot transfer ownership of the software to you.

What MadAudio said is correct.

You won't be able to legally use that version of SF because.....

-you have a different COMPUTER ID number.

-because of the terms of the EULA that you friend ok'd, he/she can't transfer ownership.

There are ways of making the version of SF fully functional. However, I don't know how to make that become a reality. :cool:

And if you do try to make that second-hand software fully functional, then for the love of God please RTFM.

I really like Sonic Foundry software; but their registration process is a pain. I understand why they do it, but it's a pain nonetheless.

When Sound Forge is first installed, it creates a special computer ID number based on your computer. You supply that number to Sony, and they e-mail you a valid key number based on your computer ID number. Once you enter the key number, the software is ready to use.

The only way you'll be able to use that software on your computer is if you enter your friend's original registration info. that he supplied to the Sony website. That's the only way they'll send you a new valid key number via e-mail.

I use ACID, Sound Forge, and CD Architect, and I've had to re-install them a number of times over the past few years. So long as you enter the original registration information correctly, they should send you a new number.

Joeybear said:
I really like Sonic Foundry software; but their registration process is a pain. I understand why they do it, but it's a pain nonetheless.

When Sound Forge is first installed, it creates a special computer ID number based on your computer. You supply that number to Sony, and they e-mail you a valid key number based on your computer ID number. Once you enter the key number, the software is ready to use.

The only way you'll be able to use that software on your computer is if you enter your friend's original registration info. that he supplied to the Sony website. That's the only way they'll send you a new valid key number via e-mail.

I use ACID, Sound Forge, and CD Architect, and I've had to re-install them a number of times over the past few years. So long as you enter the original registration information correctly, they should send you a new number.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your friend can request a transfer of the license to you from his computer. As long as he destroys his copy and requests the transfer, you'll be able to register it.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Back