Soundfont hi-hat woes!!

guitar ed

I made a fairly decent drum soundfont in Vienna, but I can't figure out how to get it to cut off my open hi-hat when the closed hat comes in. I searched this forum, but I couldn't find anything dealing with this. Maybe I was wording it wrong. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanx

ed

Ed, this is good idea to start this thread. I have also similiar problem here. I've downloaded the sample demo from Sonic Implant site, and their demo contains Hi-hat samples only. I was being curious, cause most of the killer drums soundfonts I had didn't have any pleasantly hihat sound to my humble ears. And somehow, I heard the closed hihat key didn't exactly "close" the opened one (which rather sounds half opened). If only I can make some improvement :( I really love the harsh it sound... :)

...after writing the story, I felt nothing as the point of my post here... no question, nor answer... just a story... I didn't even know if anyone cares about it... But I feel better now... :D

Actually, I didn't figure it out all by myself.:o I emailed Ethan Winer (?) and he told me how to do it. You have to assign all your hi hat samples to Exclusive Class #1. Then they'll cut off just like MIDI hats. Cool!!;)

ed

James Argo said:
And somehow, I heard the closed hihat key didn't exactly "close" the opened one (which rather sounds half opened). If only I can make some improvement :( I really love the harsh it sound... :)

...after writing the story, I felt nothing as the point of my post here... no question, nor answer... just a story... I didn't even know if anyone cares about it... But I feel better now... :D

James....with Blue Jay, you have closed, foot & open samples of a hihat. Use the 'closed' sample for normal hihat stuff, and whenever you use the 'open' sample, be sure to close it with the 'foot' sample. Sounds fine with me (in my silly dutch ears at least).

I'm pretty damn sure that hitting the closed hihat, will close the open hihat. I can't hear anything from the open after I've hit the closed...

Has my ear gone bad? :confused:

I'm pretty damn sure that hitting the closed hihat, will close the open hihat. I can't hear anything from the open after I've hit the closed

Moskus, you're probably correct, although I haven't tried it with the Blue Jay SF yet. However, if you construct your own soundfont, you need to be sure you assign the hats to an exclusive group number in Vienna. That's what tells the hats how to respond to each other. If you have no problems with the BJ kit, it's because the hats are assigned accordingly. You could open the soundfont in Vienna and confirm this. :)

Wow..........I just read back what I just wrote, and it almost sounds like I know what the hell I'm talking about!! With age comes wisdom, I guess!!! :D

ed

Pedullist said:
James....with Blue Jay, you have closed, foot & open samples of a hihat. Use the 'closed' sample for normal hihat stuff, and whenever you use the 'open' sample, be sure to close it with the 'foot' sample. Sounds fine with me (in my silly dutch ears at least).

I'm sorry, but it must applied to "regular" Blue Jay kit (came with SONAR CD which I haven't had yet). But in the downloadable demo, you'll have only two key hihat. Open and close. and James was right, they're un-linked. :)

moskus said:
I'm pretty damn sure that hitting the closed hihat, will close the open hihat. I can't hear anything from the open after I've hit the closed...

Has my ear gone bad? :confused:

Sure it does, I wasn't denying that. The only thing I was saying was that the 'foot' sounds more 'closed' than the 'closed' sample. Especially after using the 'open' sample.

Yeah, Pedullist was right. "Foot Hihat" closes "Opened Hihat" smoother & more realistic...

Tsssssssk... <-- With Foot hihat

Tssssss tick... <--With Closed hihat

Use your imagination...

:D

James Argo said:
Yeah, Pedullist was right. "Foot Hihat" closes "Opened Hihat" smoother & more realistic...

Tsssssssk... <-- With Foot hihat

Tssssss tick... <--With Closed hihat
"More realistic"? It sounds like that if you hit the hihat with a stick after you've had it open.

Or I am missing the point. What was it? ;)

Pedullist said:
Moskus, you are a 'natural' drummer, right?
What do you mean by that?

I can play drums fairly good, but I'm definentaly not the best drummer in the world... ;)

Well, I never touched a real drumkit in my entire life. For me a snare is D and E on my keyboard, first octave....

So yes, that's what I meant.

Back