Soundelux E47 - Mix Magazine review

Jack Hammer

In Mix Magazine this month there is a review of the Soundelux E47. This is a direct quote "This is not the bewt mic to record a wooly sounding vocalist". the article further stated that "the low mids were too full and the high end was not extended enough...".

Now, this is a pretty expensive mic and I am contemplating spending that kind of money on one really good mic. This mic comes highly recommended. Given all that, what weight should be given to this article? Is this a credible review or just an overly subjective rant by a reviewer that cannot afford such a mic or what?

And, lastly, assuming argunemdo that this review has credibility, what then would be a better choice for that one, super fine, vocal mic?

What the heck is a "wooly" vocalist? A Neandertal? Everyone I know who has tried one has liked it - a lot! The primary thing they love it on is vocals. I read that review, and was rather confused by the whole thing - for instance, he stated that he never switched it out of cardioid, then complained that the switch was too hard to get to. There's no pleasing some people. If you have any interest at all in this mic (& the credit to afford it) then just order one from some place like Mercenary. Try it for a few weeks in your own studio, and if you don't like it, send it back. All you'll be out is shipping, and that's darn cheap rent on a mic of that caliber.

Scott
P.S. Yes, I do own one.

Jack Hammer,

If you're spending that kind of money, I'd hope you'd be talking to Stephen Paul about it first! He'll tell ya what to do better than any of us can! Now I certainly don't want to put any words into ANYONE'S mouth, but I'd bet on Harvey telling you that too!

Okay, fine...that is alot of money and I am only going to spend that much once or, at last once in the next few years, for a microphone.

So the question is, how does one "speak" to Stephen Paul. Do you e-mail him, do you call...what?

I will try to contact him through the internet, however, if you know how to do it, let me know.

I have heard a few very reputable people say that the E47 sounds better than 95% of the Neumann U47's that are out there - that's saying a lot. I have an Soundelux ELUX 251 that just rocks. If I were you I would either buy the E47 from a local pro audio dealer who has a good return/exchange policy (couple day trial period), or else talk to Fletcher at www.mercenary.com - a good solid dealer. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy the E47.

I'd also look into the Lawson L47MP. It's also a U47 clone. There was a thread on Fletcher's forum recently comparing it to the E47. Someone on the thread actually tried them both side-by-side and found them to be extremely close. If anything, he liked the Lawson better. The Lawson is also $1500 cheaper.

Yo dog...er, littel dog...you certainly are making a good argument for the Lawson mic. But I believe there is another issue at hand and that is this: Though the Soundelux is substantially more expensive (in fact, as I see an 1176 or Distressor more expensivee at that), the Soundelux may retain more of its value or, if current treands are any guide (and this is pure speculation) actually become a sought after "vintage" piece of gear in twenty years. In other words, its is not just a mic, it is an investment.

This may seem an absurd criteria but in this day and age you must consider the economic impact of everything you do. Its like that.

Anyway, I am leaning towards the E47 but I am giving thought to options. The interesting thing is that I just closed a deal and in making the deal I had to lay out $3,500.00 which I will now get back. It is very much like spending the money and then getting a second chance to spend it again. That number certainly rings in my subconscious. It is as if it were meant to be.

BTW, I don't really believe that meant to be stuff, it is simply, at best, a conicidence.

Okay, enough babbling...

I doubt that either the Soundelux or the Lawson will be all that collectable. As the years go by, there will be more and more U47 clones, each claiming to be better than the one before. I think the Soundelux and the Lawson will hold their value pretty well since they are made by small companies and there aren't a ton of them out there, but I don't think they'll ever be thought of as "investments" like the original U47.

I think you ought to figure out which mic you want for its sound and not worry about which one's going to be worth more in 20 years.

I completely agree with Brad. If you are looking for investment value, you're much better off in rare coins, comic books, baseball cards, or almost anything other than pro audio.

Besides, to really tap into the the kind of value appreciation that true vintage gear can command, you're going to have to hang on to it for about 50 years. Even then, no guarantee it will be worth more than the original, once you factor in inflation.

Personally, I recommend real estate. :)

Back