soundcraft spirit fx8 mixer

algae

I recently purchased a soundcraft spirit fx8 mixer.while Iam playing a cd through the mixer I cannot get enough volumn through the head set.the speakers over power the headset. I must shut the speakers off and turn the gain on the channel way up to get enough volumn in the headset. does anyone have any imput on wy this is happening

algae said:
I recently purchased a soundcraft spirit fx8 mixer.while Iam playing a cd through the mixer I cannot get enough volumn through the head set.the speakers over power the headset. I must shut the speakers off and turn the gain on the channel way up to get enough volumn in the headset. does anyone have any imput on wy this is happening

Sounds like you've got it running through a passive input. You may need to preamp your CD Player. Or better yet, does that model have a phantom power boost thingie? (thingie? Wow! Look at ME tech-speak!)

I had a similar problem with a crappy old Radio-Crap (er Shack) mixer i had. I was using the "tape in" inputs and they turned out to be passive and my cassette deck wasn't pushing enough power for it.. i threw on a small booster and it worked ok...

... then I got my Mackie... now I'm warm and fuzzy all over!

- Tanlith -

Whoa nah....simma dahn nah.

Phantom power does NOT have any thing to do with boosting a line level source signal.

Phantom Power is the new kck ass album from Super Furry Animals.

....but seriously......phantom power is used on the mic inputs to provide power to condenser mics.
It may be possible that even if you surmounted the connectivity issues of hooking up your CD to a phantom powered mic input that you may possibly damage your CD player.

1st: What output of your CD are you using.....a L/R line out or the headphone outs??????

2nd: Exactly which input(s) are you using on the mixer???

I think the Fx8 has one monitor volume knob that controls both the headphone and the monitor levels but I'm not sure.

In any case.....if you are getting a decent level in the monitor speakers but not in the cans then somehting doesnt sound right.

Is there a pad button for the headphones on the board????

OK....I googled and I'm looking at a picture but......oh wait.....try hooking up the CD to the 2trk in (RCA inputs) and then engage the white 2trk button and also engage the mix/sub button right above that.

(man there are a ton of routing options on that thing)

-mike

Tanlith, yes wackie are decent products. I have one (1202) that's in the corner doing nothing at the moment. Did 'nt mean any personally , I just think they are fuzzy. That's why I moved up to a Soundcraft.

T

Re: Whoa nah....simma dahn nah.

It took me a while to get what the heck... LOL
FZfile said:
Whoa nah....simma dahn nah.
-mike [/B]

I don't think the FX's have a cans pad. I have an SX which they are both in the same familiy series. I also have to jack up the gain
for cans. It could be a an ohm issue with the headphones.
Another thing is that when you hook up the cans, the monitors get nulled- at least on the SX.

I think they just tap off of the control room outs or something?

I guess it would depend on what speakers...active or passive?
I adjusted my active monitors to get close as possible. but no biggy.

T

Tonio said:
Tanlith, yes wackie are decent products. I have one (1202) that's in the corner doing nothing at the moment. Did 'nt mean any personally , I just think they are fuzzy. That's why I moved up to a Soundcraft.

T

I wasn't offended... but I imagine the makers of Mackie's would be. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

- Tanlith -

Back