soundcraft spirit fx16ii line out

dmetzler

I am the ultimate noob, so please bear with me. I'm not the audio guy I'm the video guy :-) But the audio guy didn't know either.

I wanted to attach the "line out" of the fx16 to the input of a camera so as to get the (cumulative) mixer audio into the camera, but it's a lot more complex than I thought. I assumed that line out would be universal on audio equipment.
fx16ii-rear_original.jpg
There are Monitor outputs, there are Mix outputs, and there are Aux outputs. I tried Aux 1 but I only got 1 side and the level was quite low.

I didn't have the correct cable to try either of the other ones.

Can you please guide me as to the correct method of pushing line out to my camera (or to a computer input, in either event 1/8" stereo in connector) I'm rather hoping that I won't have to set any of the levels on the mixer since line out is kind of a universal standard - or so I thought :-)

Thank you for your help,

It's not that straightforward to connect a line level, possibly balanced output to a 1/8" stereo, possibly mic level, input.

Aux outputs are generally mono, and I would expect it to be too high if the input on your camera or computer is for a mic.

That mixer just doesn't have a good way to record if the main outputs are being used to drive a PA system. I would actually suggest an XLR splitter, perhaps transformer isolated with a ground lift.

To get that into your camera, look for devices made by BeachTek, like the one in the link below. It's meant for mic level input, but there may be sufficient attenuation for line level inputs.

Better yet would be a decent USB audio interface on the computer. Cameras make poor audio recorders.

It's not that straightforward to connect a line level, possibly balanced output to a 1/8" stereo, possibly mic level, input.

Aux outputs are generally mono, and I would expect it to be too high if the input on your camera or computer is for a mic.

That mixer just doesn't have a good way to record if the main outputs are being used to drive a PA system. I would actually suggest an XLR splitter, perhaps transformer isolated with a ground lift.

To get that into your camera, look for devices made by BeachTek, like the one in the link below. It's meant for mic level input, but there may be sufficient attenuation for line level inputs.

Better yet would be a decent USB audio interface on the computer. Cameras make poor audio recorders.
Thank you for your response - I am able to configure the camera between Mic in an Line in so that's not a blocker. I could use an external device but then I'd have to sync all the audio at edit time which would be a real pain.

It's a pretty good camera - a BGH1, so I expect that the audio record will be pretty good quality. Doesn't need to be studio quality since we are recording in a crowded venue.

The Beachtek looks pretty good. On the back of the mixer the Mix outputs are taken, but the Monitor outputs are available - do you think that would work?

Thank you again for your help!

The monitor outputs would likely work, but it probably requires a front panel switch to be in the correct position. Also, I suspect that output will respond to the solo switches on each channel. The person running the mixer would have to avoid activating those during the performance, which is too bad because they can be quite handy.

I'd call a camera pretty good (for audio) if it had XLR inputs and the associated controls. Even then, my Zoom H5 is better.

Back