Soundcraft M12 and Outboard Connections

Cuzin B

All,

Just picked up a Soundcraft M12 and a new Delta 1010 and I am having a blast with it. While I think my gear connections are fairly sound...I did want to get opinions on how everyone else is using this board with their soundcard (and external gear).

I find the Soundcraft documentation to be excellent but they really don't take a good solid look at how a home recorder with a computer would best hook up....great details on every other situation live churches...etc...

Ideally, I want to do the least amount of cable patching possible and get the most flexibility with my I/O. Here's what I have so far:

1. Direct outs 1-8 going out from the Soundcraft into the Delta 1010 1-8.
2. Delta 1-2 Out coming back into Soundcraft M12 Stereo 1. (Is this the best way to do this?)

In addition:

I have a Mindprint Envoice processor that is currently hooked up for voiceover work in the following manner:

Rode NTV->Mindprint XLR In
Mindprint SPDIF Out-> Delta 1010 SPDIF IN

This hookup obviously bypasses my new board all together and I really want to be able to dial in the sweet Envoice compression on any channel (like guitars, basses etc instead of only using it on my mic). Is the insert jack the only/best way to get the Envoice onto a channel? If it is ...it will involve repatching which is kind of a pain.

I also have my trusty Yamaha SPX-90 which I want to use on individual channels as well. But using the direct outs from the Soundcraft right into the Delta is pre fader and of course completely bypasses everything so I cannot get the SPX into the signal path and then send it onto the soundcard while monitoring everything thru the Stereo channel as connected.

If you have a Soundcraft and a few pieces of outboard gear...I would love to get your opinions...even if you don't have a Soundcraft but maybe can suggest a better way for me to hook this all up...I would appreciate the commentary.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

I have the M8, and the way you have it connected is exactly how I have mine.

The M series make for a good home studio board, enjoy !

Pier

You've set it up correctly. There is no way to avoid some patching for switching from a recording config to a mixing config. If you don't want to patch on the mixer you can always get a Patchbay.

Tex,

Any ideas on the best place to patch the Envoice or the SPX-90 in so I can easily use em on any channel and anytime plus print the signal with effect if I need to?

Cuzin B

Usually you would use the SPX an an Aux send. To record that signal you just need to route the SPX output into the soundcard either directly or through the mixer.

To use the envoice you would most likely put it on an insert.

There is absolutely no way to patch everything for a one setup fits all. You WILL be doing repatching for different jobs. The only way to avoid patching is to have a bigger mixer and enough gear to handle every possible situation and even most pro studios don't have that much money to burn. That is why they use patchbays.

One trick you can do is hook up the main outs on the mixer to some inputs on the Delta. That way you can always send whatever is going through the mixer back into the delta. It would not be the cleanest path but it would definatley be the quickest and easiest. You would setup everything up while listening to the track in the context of the mix then mute everything else and record the output while that track(s) gets processed through the mixer and effects chain.

If you want to use the SPX and Envoice during mixdown and keept it as clean as possible you could just hook each one up directly to the soundcard and bypass the mixer.

Get a patch bay, you will thank me in the morning.

Really, there is no one universal approach on this. A patch bay in an accessible location is your best freind. You will be able to access all your line in and outs and change things as needed. You can also quickly put your Mindprint on any channel you need it.

I can patch directly through my Soundcraft or go around it with a patchbay set up to directly link to my sound card. No crawling around the back of the computer. Fast and easy.

Back