Soundcraft FX8

I got one.

I use it as a front end to my Delta 44/Cooledit based PC-DAW. It filled all the gaps neatly (mic preamps, signal routing/patch bay stand in, realtime F/X for tracking). A Mackie mini one was a bit to small on input count, same with the "Notepad" model. FX16 was more than I wanted to budget for, and was a bit big. FX8 it was.

It's routed so all incoming signals go to the mixer, then onto the SUB or MIX buses, which go to the 4 inputs on the PC.

Note that I don't usually need to handle "live" mixdowns through the FX8, I do all that on the PC. The FX8 is for balancing and grouping things on the way to being recorded.

The PC handles it's own monitoring outputs + these 4 inputs into one stereo feed out, which goes back up to the 2-track in, and then onward to the monitors. An RNC compressor sits in the main MIX channel, usually to compress things while tracking, rather than on whole mixes.

Over one year later and no problems with it, other than the F/X section "locking up" once, I put that down to a momentary power blip! ... and the "headphone monitor" pot sometimes needing a good waggle to clear the track up (it tends to never get turned about 50%).

Soundwise, I don't obsess about having to keep the mixer out of the signal path etc. -- it's quiet enough to add only the tiniest amount of noise to my existing background levels (visible on Cooledit, but not really audible). I get occasional faint HF-bleedthrough problems, where spare signals are parked onto the "sub" bus, which is then faded down -- although I don't know if this is a mixer thing, or a cabling/soundcard issue. Never really went fault finding on this one!

Build quality is sound enough for studio use, it's not as ruggedised as some other mixers, so I'd treat it with care! Is it the Mackie VLZ's that have independent suspension on the pots, steel roll cage, etc. :) ?

Mike.

Thanks, Mjbee -

I have the same card- the Delta 44. I'm only usually recording two tracks at a time, so I could record directly into the 44, but I want to be able to use all my ourboard gear too. Hence the mixer.
How about the quality of the Lexicon effects? Any good?

Bob

I got one too.

For some time ago I bought a Tascam 38 (reel to reel deck) and I had to get a couple of preamps to feed the 38 with. When I spoke to my local music store I learned that I needed direct outputs to adjust the proper input level, to get the desiered amount of tape saturation. The FX8 gave me that option and with a proper monitoring.

Since I normaly do not record with my Tascam 38, I have the FX8 hooked up to my PC DAW.
I use a Wamirack 24 soundcard with 4 in 8 out. I have connected 4 of the 8 outputs to the FX8's stereo channels which gives me a better monitoring than before.
Previously, I've been using GigaSampler (with no FX options what so ever), so the built in lexicon FX was really welcome when playbacked (orchestral samples are in my opinion easier to play with reverb), but not when mixed down.
The overall quality of the lexicon FX isn't really that good, it works for playback while tracking, I belive there are plugins that are better to use in mixmode when working with a PC DAW.
Since I've upgraded to GigaStudio 160 I've no need of the lexicon FX.

I got the FX8 on a pretty good deal so that was the best option I knew at the time.
Soundcraft have their new M serie mixers which has the same preamps as the more proffessional Ghost mixers.
I whould recommend that you take a look at the M serie mixers. I belive the M8 is cheaper than the FX8 but the M8 has no built in FX, but instead 4 stereo channels and a digital output.
I think that the quality of the preamps in the FX8 are decent but not great, and I do belive the preamps on the M serie mixers are better, but I don't know how much better. I can only come to the conclusion that if I where offered to trade my FX8 to an M8 I wouldn't hesitate.

If you have a lot of external gear and only record 2 tracks at the time you might also check out the Soundcraft E serie mixers, which unlike the M serie has no direct outs on the mono channels, and I know there is one modell of the E serie that has alot of stereo channels(if your external gear are of that sort).

Thanks, Flames. I'll look into the M series. It's good to hear real world facts from people who actually have the mixer. I'm surprised that the Lexicon effects aren't very good, usually they are (in hardware versions). Thanks for the info.

Bob

Well if you consider how a "stand alone" lexicon reverb sounds and the price range of these units there is no way you can compare it to the one built in the FX8. Although I would not be surpriced if it sounded better than a behringer unit (who would be!).
I don't really know the price range of the lexicon verbs, but I would guess they at least be in the same price range as the FX8 itself, so there is really no need to be exited about "it's a lexicon reverb" and there is no way to compare it to the real thing.
But everything is relative.

:cool:

Great information, guys! I think from what you've said, the M series is looking good for my humble needs. I've also heard good things about the Ghost-type pres. How is the EQ section on these mixers? They advertise "Brittish" EQ - is it as "musical" as they say?

Bob

Buffalo Bob said:

How about the quality of the Lexicon effects? Any good?

Bob

OK -- I don't think I've ever used them on a track, other than some live drumming from an Alesis DM5 module, with some outputs on the DM5 being sent for reverb, and others not. Having CoolEdit, where the reverbs, choruses etc. are more configurable means that most of the effects are done later. But having no dedicated hardware reverb, it was a plus point in choosing this mixer, so I can have reverb while tracking, especially vocals.

Mike.

Thanks- I think I'm going to go with the M8. IT's perfect for my needs, and in my price range.

Did you hear a UPS truck?............................

Back