Soundcraft 200 Resistor Q...

HomesickAlien

I am throwing in some resistors so my Soundcraft board will work with my Tascam tape machine...
Just wondering if anyone could help me out with the wattage of the resistors... My friend and I are thinking they are 1/2 watt by looking at the others but just wondering if anyone could confirm this... the manual is here:

http://www.soundcraft.com/downloads/fetchfile.aspx?cat_id=user_guides&id=3940

but I can't find any watt information. Is there an implied industry standard if it is not specified? (Because it does specify wattage when detailing how to modify the phantom power)...

thanks

If even using a purely resistive load is the correct way to go about doing what you want to do, sure, 1/2 watt resistors should be fine.

But ordinarily, when you want to go from a balanced +4db output down to a -10db unbalanced line level signal, its more common to use step down transformers or active multi-channel devices that do a better job of matching up impedance loads and maintaining an even frequency response, as well as managing a good grounding regime. Google "TASCAM LA80/81", to see what a typical level adapter box looks like.

Cheers! :)

Thanks.
I briefly looked into the tascam LA 80 & LA 40 as solutions but it seems as though they are fairly rare. Also, the newer model of the Tascam LA 80 (Mk-II I believe) runs for around $300. Which isn't too bad, but if a couple of resistors could save me a nice chunk of cash I would take my chances...
Are there any alternatives?

For example I randomly found a Tascam MX 80 for cheap and noticed it has a switch on the side that has "output level" and options of 0dBv and -10dBv.. Could I just bypass the pre's and use it to level out the lines?

Last edited:
Alternative? Sure! There are always alternatives. A few years back, when I needed to do this same task, I sourced out an XLR to RCA adaptor from Neutric which had a micro transformer right inside the adaptor. I believe they were about $15 each. They did a decent job for me but I was fairly cash strapped, so I didn't have the means to buy an LA80 at the time to compare the two.

Hopefully, some other folks here will chime in with their experience so you can get a better sense of which way to go.

Cheers! :)

The MX-80 will work, but understand that the pad function doesn't bypass the mic amp...you'll still be sending your audio through the mic amp which is unnecessary, but Tascam put the function there for exactly the reason you are looking for.

There is also a fostex unit which is like an LA-80 and 81 combined (8-in 8-out duplexing balanced/unblanced converter/bump-box) and for some reason it is typically relatively affordable (at least it was last time I checked) when you can find them. Anybody remember the model number off-hand?

Otherwise like Ghost said the inline resistor will WORK but it is definitely the dirtiest option.

The MX-80 will work, but understand that the pad function doesn't bypass the mic amp...you'll still be sending your audio through the mic amp which is unnecessary, but Tascam put the function there for exactly the reason you are looking for.

There is also a fostex unit which is like an LA-80 and 81 combined (8-in 8-out duplexing balanced/unblanced converter/bump-box) and for some reason it is typically relatively affordable (at least it was last time I checked) when you can find them. Anybody remember the model number off-hand?

Otherwise like Ghost said the inline resistor will WORK but it is definitely the dirtiest option.

Yeah I though the MX-80 might not be a great choice but at least I would have some extra pre's... Although I read somewhere that they're not that great so I think I'm going to ditch this as an option..

Just before I came back to read the thread I found the Fostex 5030 that you are talking about (I believe)... I need it to be a converter/bump, not just a one-way unit so it's perfect.. So is the Ebtech I found on Sweetwater, but I like the back of the Fostex unit (with xlrs & rcas) a bit better...

Anyways, thanks guys, I think I'll stay away from adding the resistors and spend the loot.

Dunno where you read the MX-80 isn't that great...guess it depends on whether or not you are looking for boutique pre's. Hey anybody can have great pre's for $1,000 a channel and make sure the snobs don't turn up their noses, but IMO the MX-80 is a freaking BARGAIN considering its features and performance. Its got 80's vintage style, good build quality, good components, good design, and when I was using mine it was my favorite pre out of my (at the time) Tascam M-520, Presonus Digimax FS and Yamaha i88x. I remember recording a difficult female vocalist once who had a lot of cut and power in her voice and the MX-80 was the problem solver. Same thing a couple years ago. Was having trouble with brittleness and graininess with another popular "high-end" Presonus unit. Pulled out the MX-80 and it did the trick. It has a full quick sound to it. A very "broadcast" sound to it. I haven't used it in a long time just because I haven't done much for awhile but I can't ever bring myself to part with it.

I think I read it on a gearslutz posting. Thanks for giving your opinion.... I still might grab it for the hell of it, could be useful someday... I think it looks kinda cool too.

gearslutz is exactly what I was thinking about when I said "snobs".

Trust your own ears.

[EDIT]

This is not to say those who post on gearslutz are snobs, I just find that many makes don't have a good reputation on that site, Tascam included, and then that opinion becomes "fact". Lots of very knowledeable and experienced folks on gearslutz, I just don't like the bashing and therefore keep it at arms-length.

Back