Soundcraft 1600 and Fostex tape recorder hook up

theshoemakerstu

Hi fellas, I finaly got my hands on a Soundcraft series 1600 and i would like to connect it to my Fostex 16 track tape recorder.
Since im a analog tape recorder noob, I was wondering, how the hell do you connect it to the soundcraft mixer? I noticed there is "line in" and "line out" and there is also a two big plugs behind the mixerboard that says "track 1-8" and "track 9-16".
I would like to record onto the tape and then listen to it afterwards and be able to control the volume.
I've read the manual, and i found a easy way to connect it to a 8 track recorder. But i would like to be able to control each channel on a drum track etc.
Anyone who could cast some light on my problem? Im not dumb, im just a newbie :)

The big plugs are most likely multipin plugs for the groupt outs or tape outs, and then you return through the tape returns. Are the plugs 25 pin?

I was thinking the same thing.
DB25 connectors I bet. You could buy the cables premade or make them yourself.
Otherwise just use the tape in and tape out jacks on each channel.

there isnt a tape in and tape out on each channel. Its only on the group channels. And its pretty anoying :(
Either way, there was a 24 channel version of the Series 1600 that had a patch bay.
It could connect easily to the patch bay and the tape machine.
but no its not a DB25, I should say the mixer is from 1983.
I found out that the plug is called "ADAT Multicabel" you can try to find a pic on google, since i cant post URL's here yet :(

Last edited:
hmm i read this in the manual about the patch bay:

"5. Tape tracks

Patch points allow acces into the input on each tape track.
Insertion of a patch chord into the tape send will interrupt the normal signal from the relevant group output and replace it with the signal on the patch chord. Inserting a patch chord into the tape return will not interrupt the signal, but allows the tape return to be re-routed to alternavite input channels or monitor return inputs. Each tape return is normalled to the relevant monitor return, and also to the relevant channel line inputs."

and:

10. Multitrack Tape sends and returns:

These are unbalanced and are availabe on multi-way connectors.

and on each channel there is "Mic", "RET", "SND", "Line In and out"

I dont have the Mixer infront of me coz i put it up for repair. One channel doesnt work and the VU meters arent working. Either way it works fine :)

The cables you are looking for are the EDAC type. It sopunds like they are using the ADAT multipin format. These cables can be built pretty easily but you will need to get the proper pinout to make sure the cable is built properly. It has been years since I have touched an SC1600, so I do not remember all of the details. If I remember right, they are not inline, but use the older "split" configuration which really isn't that bad of a way of doing things. If you need to order special cables you can send me a PM and I can get you a price. Luckily it does sound like an EDAC connector and not one of the older style Tuchel connectors.

If there was any way you could send me decent res pictures of 1 channel, the master section, a group/return channel, the backplane connectors for 1 channel, the backplane connectors for the master section, and the backplane connector for the multipin I could more thoroughly help you with how to most efficiently set it all up:)

wow, if you could show me a deacent way to set it up, it would really help me alot here :)
I dont mind buying the cable new from the local music shop. I always get discount anyway :P
Either way, my hands are shacking form excitement to get started on finally being able to use my tape recorder with the mixer.
Im going to pick the mixer up this week, so I will post some pictures ASAP!
I was also thinking about building my own patchbay so it will be easier to set all the effects up.
Something in the line of Tape send and retuns. Effects send and returns and then of course aux outputs. That means the patchbay gets worn down through the years instead of the mixer :)
thank you btw.

-Harald

Last edited:
Let me know when you get it back then. Keep in mind that the multipin cable you are looking for will likely be one that is hard to find in stock in most places and will have to be custom built. Patchbays are a great idea, but they will definately be an investment to get decent ones. With a console like the 1600, unless you ahve a lot of outboard, you will likely be able to plug most things in once and use onboard routing for much of what you do so patchbays may not be much of a necessity.

Back