Soundcards with AMD ?

hockey punk

What suggestions and experience do any of you have for sound cards used with an AMD K62/350? I am using Cakewalk 9 and do mostly Electric guitar and bass with occaisional acoustic tracks , will probably add some kind of synth later . I presently use the pre-amp out on my old Carvin tube amp along with an old Roland GP 16 right in to the line in on my real generic sb card. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated .

Howdy H.P.
I run all of my music on a dedicated K6_2/400. I have tried several of the cards that are currently on the market and have found that as long as you have the drivers for the operating system that you are using they all run very well. I am currently using an ARK 20/20..and I am very happy with the performance of both the computer and the card. We could open up a real can of worms here but I won't. Lets just say that you really need not to feel as though you are handicapped because you run an AMD. I have beed using AMD chips for the last 20 years and have never found any hardware or software that was rated for INTEL chips that could not be operated with the AMD chips. So IMHO niether one is best. :cool:

Hope that helps.
GRIZ

Thanks for the reply GRIZ . I can't find any info on the ARK 20/20 . I need a small (short) PCI card because of the limitations of my mobo . Some of them are too long and would bump into my CPU . In a previous post Slackmaster warned me of AMD chips choking on effects , I have seen evidence of this using the software effects in Cakewalk but my GP 16 eliminates my dependance on software effects , the only drawback being that I must track using effects . The GP 16 is pretty versatile for a guitar processor , everything is editable .The only thing that bites is the compressor so I will need one of those . Thanks for the encouragement GRIZ , maybe I don't need a PIII .

YOW! griz I just found the Aardvark 20/20 a little pricey for my humble needs but the right size for sure .Anything else you like for less than half that price ?

I tried a darla 24/96 out on a K6 2 and it worked but event doesn't guarantee that it will. It wouldn't work on a Athlon system. I have a Midiman Delta 66 now and it works with all AMD and it's a killer card for the price($300)

Trucker dave,

My Delta 66 arrived yesterday. I am rebuilding my computer this weekend into a (hopefully) screaming wonder-DAW. I just wondered if you had any installation or configuration hassles that I might run into. The PC will have a 700 MHz PIII on an Abit BE-6-II board with 256 MB SDRAM, an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 video card (AGP), an ethernet card, one 30 GB 7200 RPM UDMA/66 hard drive and one 8 GB 5400 rpm UDMA/33 drive, an ATAPI CD-RW drive, and -- the thing I most expect to potentially be problematic -- a Sound Blaster Live. The Live card is my only synth/sampler so I desperately need it to coexist. Any gotchas or tips are extremely welcome. Thanks!

A follow-up: I got the box together and managed to make the Delta 66 and SB Live get along. Along the way I've had the chance to experience M Audio's tech support, which in my case was exemplary -- they got back to me very fast with good information.

One more point in the Delta series' favor is that they have DirectSound drivers as well as ASIO and Gigasampler drivers...

-AlChuck

Back