Soundcards/Breakout Boxes for 5.25" Bays

Waffleness

Hello,

Just doing some research - are there any soundcards that come with 5.25" breakout boxes or face plates that let you take the outputs to the front of a PC? Something like 2xXLR and a couple of line inputs?

If so, are the any good? I know rack mount seems to be the way forward, and know the advantages, but am just interested in seeing the 5.25" options avaliable.

Many Thanks

W

Terratec used to have some (e.g. EWS 88 MT, Phase 22 etc) but I think they discontinued them. Check out ebay for them.

The industry has moved to get the interface OUT of the PC.

Too much electrical interference inside the box causes too many problems....

I can understand out of the box is better for those kind of problems, but I am getting frustrated with the number of external devices I have.

Currently on my USB slots I have an iPod, Audio Interface, MIDI Interface, External Harddrive, Steinberg Key, Mouse and Keyboard. I would like a new PC with everything contained in a nice easy to use unit for carting between uni and home.

Im going wireless with the keyboard and mouse plus loosing the external HDD so thats most of it gone. I just dont like the amount of crap falling out the back of the PC... its annoying! :p

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered a USB hub? One slot on your computer, and you don't have to get behind there as often.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered a USB hub? One slot on your computer, and you don't have to get behind there as often.

Yeah I have a few of those - its not so much the devices themselves, as the fact they are scattered over the desk. In the same way your effects units, EQ, playback, gates, compressors are all mounted in a rack... I want it all in the PC.

I'm probably going to end up buying a rack mount case and building the PC in there, that seems the most sensible thing at the minute.

the creative x-fi line has a breakout box. I have one, and it has spdif and optical ins and outs on the front, plus RCA and midi. its great. you have to have a creative x-fi card to use it though.

Back