Soundcard to monitors.. middleman?

13th_Omen

Im running SONAR 3 PE on a P4 2.66 Ghz, 1280 MB PC2700 RAM, (2) Terretec PHASE 88s, Tannoy Reveal Active monitors..

My question is this:

I am currently using outputs 1/2 on the master Terretec card as my main outs left and right from SONAR. I have them going into a Behringer mixer whcich feeds my monitors. I am only using the mixer as a volume control for the monitors. It seems silly to use a 16 channel board simply for this procedure. Does anyone know of a simlpe volume control device to accept a stereo RCA and feed to the monitors? It doesn't need (preferably not) any EQ knobs or anything. I also think that the Behri is adding some unneeded "hiss" to my monitors.

Anyone have a possible solution for what I am looking for?

Thanx Jim, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for! It has the RCA inputs that I wanted and rack mounted! SWEET! Only $100 !! Thanx again!

You have to tread lightly in sending your pristine tracks through an external device because most low cost solutions will color your sound. I had the same issues with Behringer 5 years ago. In fact I put the little 602A in the closet where it sits, in the box, to this day.

I am looking at the Mackie Big Knob and the Presonus Central Station about $300 and $500 respectively. More money but both devices are getting kudos for not coloring the sound. They also both have the added feature of routing another mix i.e. to the tracking room playback monitors, a second set of booth monitors as well as headphone mixes for the musicians.

Right now I am straight wire from the sound card to my monitors. This is risky because I usually bring the house down if I don't pay attention to levels. However, its a pristine sound just no volume control except software.

Back