SoundCard Question

Aviel

shreder wannabe
Hey
I own a creative Audigy2 soundcard, i use it for recording from my guitar amp, using a dynamic mic.
I think its time to switch to a better sound card, can someone give me some advice? does it worth it? will i feel any differant? and which sound card?
I was thinking aboout the E-MU 1212 m, or proteus X or E-MU 0404.

Can anyone please help me?

HOw about External sound cards? like firewire or usb? because i've read an article which says that soon, the cards slot on the motherboard will change, which means that it may not fit on my next pc.

I agree that the PCI slots on motherboards will eventually be replaced with a different interface, but I don't think that will happen any time soon. I can envision the industry leaving one or two PCI slots on there, similar to the way they phased out the ISA slots. I think they will be around for a few more years, and maybe your computer will still keep going long after that. (With proper maintanence that is, quite a few years)

Aviel said:
HOw about External sound cards? like firewire or usb? because i've read an article which says that soon, the cards slot on the motherboard will change, which means that it may not fit on my next pc.

There does seem to be a change from PCI to PCIE happening at the moment, but I suspect that soundcard manufacturers will just change their design when there are enough PCIE systems out there.

I would stick with PCI over FireWire or USB for the moment, although externals are OK for tracking about four things at once.

I'm sure that even when PCI finally rolls over and dies you'll be able to buy some kind of PCIE -> PCI converter.

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe

Yea, the soundblaster cards , none of them are ever going to cut it. They just cannot record all the frequencies that are being played. Trust me Ive tried all of them. So:

Along time ago I bought a couple of DAL Card D+ ISA cards for my Pentium 2 PC. So I had and still have and use it a computer with 2 of these DAL cards in it and 1 AWE SoundBlaster Gold that I use for my midi interface. I on rare occasions will allow some playback of audio through it. So what I am saying is I have 3 soundcards that can playback audio simultaneously. That means in Cakewalk, which I use, My old computer with now a P3 600 and 300meg of RAM can playback with out stuttering or failing about 20 tracks at the same time. But it is real tricky and small wavs are really imparitive if you are going to do massive multitracking.

But

I bought a CardDeluxe (PCI card) and I use it in another computer which I send my final mix to. It is night and day between this card and the creative labs cards.

Check it out.

nonreversebird said:
Yea, the soundblaster cards , none of them are ever going to cut it. They just cannot record all the frequencies that are being played. Trust me Ive tried all of them. So:

Along time ago I bought a couple of DAL Card D+ ISA cards for my Pentium 2 PC. So I had and still have and use it a computer with 2 of these DAL cards in it and 1 AWE SoundBlaster Gold that I use for my midi interface. I on rare occasions will allow some playback of audio through it. So what I am saying is I have 3 soundcards that can playback audio simultaneously. That means in Cakewalk, which I use, My old computer with now a P3 600 and 300meg of RAM can playback with out stuttering or failing about 20 tracks at the same time. But it is real tricky and small wavs are really imparitive if you are going to do massive multitracking.

But

I bought a CardDeluxe (PCI card) and I use it in another computer which I send my final mix to. It is night and day between this card and the creative labs cards.

Check it out.
How much is the CardDelux and where can I buy one - on-line please. Do not live near anything for this kind of thing. Someone recently just recommended an Audigy soundcard to me...sounds like it is just not the way to go
Thanks

So i guess PCI is the best, i am just afraid to get my card not working in 2 years or so, like happened with USB and gameport joysticks.

Did anyone hear about the M-audio Delta 1010LT card? is it good?

IronFlippy said:
I've heard lots of good stuff about the Delta 1010LT. I'm looking into getting one myself. However, I don't think I'm going to need all those inputs. M-Audio has a few different models, check their website:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=pciinterfaces

I'm thinking about the Delta 44. There are many reviews about the different interfaces all over the place, you just gotta search a bit.

the 44 is cheaper from the 1010LT. how come? but notice that the 440 doesnt have XLR inputs and outputs

Aviel said:
the 44 is cheaper from the 1010LT. how come? but notice that the 440 doesnt have XLR inputs and outputs

44 - 4 inputs/outputs
1010 - 10 inputs/outputs

How did you not see that?

The CardDeluxe

http://www.digitalaudio.com

Digital Audio Labs

If you can believe it. They have a lot more gear now since I bought my CardDeluxe. I only use it for mixdown. Just the analog stereo in. If you are looking to set up several mics and record several tracks at once, then you will have to look at a different product. I just went to their site and I think they have anything you want. I dont want to look to hard becuase I dont have the money to buy any of that good stuff. The CardDeluxe is like 500 dollars. All I can say is I have had these CardD + cards and they still work and I just recorded my CD with them. For what I am doing and my conditions, Apartment low volume recording, they still do a good job.

Not a lot of people know about DAL nore do they carry their products. Its really surprising if you ask me.

nonreversebird said:
http://www.digitalaudio.com

Digital Audio Labs

If you can believe it. They have a lot more gear now since I bought my CardDeluxe. I only use it for mixdown. Just the analog stereo in. If you are looking to set up several mics and record several tracks at once, then you will have to look at a different product. I just went to their site and I think they have anything you want. I dont want to look to hard becuase I dont have the money to buy any of that good stuff. The CardDeluxe is like 500 dollars. All I can say is I have had these CardD + cards and they still work and I just recorded my CD with them. For what I am doing and my conditions, Apartment low volume recording, they still do a good job.

Not a lot of people know about DAL nore do they carry their products. Its really surprising if you ask me.

Echo Audio and M-Audio products do the same thing and cost less...

Back